Welcome back - to myself......

MrPid

Just re-joined after a two year absence. I sold my V8 Westie to buy a house and miss it terribly. It had a new MOT yesterday so I know somebody somewhere is still enjoying it (not that im stalking it).

I'm looking to buy another Westie (or seven esque car). I am looking at a Red Top engined car on carbs this weekend, which looks pretty clean. 

I have also been offered an old Dax, which is very tired looking, but half the price. I'm not wanting a project though and want something I can enjoy immediately and then maybe fettle over winter.

I have also considered the Zetec, but good ones dont hang about for long. I've read a few horror stories about the Duratec so am a bit undecided on these. Decided against another V8 as I want something a bit more nimble this time. I am hoping on around 200hp which should balance reliability and performance.

I ride bikes and believe bike engines are best suited for bikes. I'm a V-Twin man so not a fan of screaming engines.

I was enormously spoilt with my previous Westie and quality is more important than quantity.

I have budgeted up to £12k as being a property owner now I have to be relatively sensible. It has a good sized garage though, just needs a Westie in it.

Any thoughts on Red Top engines are welcome, I was a huge fan of these in my boy racer days but never got round to ever owning one.

Cheers,

Stu

• Like 4

:ww: back.

Stoneleigh is coming up over the May Day bank holiday weekend, you could get your fix there and of course your local meet whilst you search...

Welcome back. Moved to the Start Line as it was originally in local area meets section. Although it might be better in the cars wanted? Let me know!

That’s a healthy budget and should land you a decent car - but be aware that values have actually risen since you sold your last one!

As Andy says, Stoneleigh isn’t a bad place to look for one as there’s usually a few for sale and a huge number of “experts” on hand for advice :d

Sorry - I could have sworn I posted this in the Start Line!

I've noticed that values have risen, gutted a bit. I sold my V8 to a dealer tow years ago, who then sold it on with a 50% mark up a couple of weeks later!!

I am hoping to make it to Stoneleigh, I will prob make a weekend of it as I'm heading to Shuttleworth on the Sat.

I may pop an add in "wanted" and see what comes of it.

Cheers,

Just something to consider, red top’s as in just the 2.0 xe, are getting rarer and more expensive to re-build when that time comes. 

What horror stories have you heard on Duratec’s then? Depending on what you intend to use your Westie for, they are not a bad choice. Modern, can be replaced with a new short engine or from a mondeo.

Andy

16 minutes ago, Greenstreak-Andy D said:

What horror stories have you heard on Duratec’s then?

Might be that a few have had bottom ends let go? But there’s always more to any failure than just a particular model - and coincidences do happen!

I've read a few threads on big ends letting go on the duratec, but like Chris said, it could be people pushing them too hard.

I hear what you're saying about the red-top, i've been building engines since my teens so not shy to get my hands dirty (if parts are available).

I don't know much about the duratec so it would be fresh meat for me, which always makes you nervous. I think I could build a pinto with my eyes shut! lol

I have a duratec and am one who has had big end bearings go.. however I think it is a great engine... However it is used 99  percent on track and is driven non stop all day except for refuelling... Ideally for my use it should be dry sump... However I have had engine rebuilt with wet sump and will give it another go..and carefully watch oil temp pressure and level...

My Duratec is the opposite use to @Mole, done over 16k with no issues. 

I am aware the big end bearings are not ‘tab’d’ so can spin at high revs/load. Have been told the 2009 Mazda equivalent later 2litre have a much stronger bottom end with tab’d big ends and forged crank. 

http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=112

Maybe an alternative to the ford unit?

Andy

Might be worth pushing your budget for this  one, Duratec on Jenveys, BGH box, Quaife ATB, light flywheel, lightweight wheels. All the right bits to have!

• Thanks 1

Hi Stu,

I know I'm biased but I've not had any issues with my Duratec.

She can be driven sensibly on the road but on a private road / track she opens up and flys.

If you are coming up to stoneleigh I'm about 30 mins drive away if you fancy a look at mine I'm selling.

Or you could pop up sooner ( For the cars specification you would be getting a lot for your money )

Regards,

Steve

Good spot Chris, lovely car.

I went to see a few Westie's this weekend and have made an offer on one. I shall have to wait and see if the seller comes back to me.

Don't think he is a forum member, but I think previous owners may have been forum members.

Fingers crossed :-)

37 minutes ago, Steven (WE51STE) - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

Hi Stu,

I know I'm biased but I've not had any issues with my Duratec.

She can be driven sensibly on the road but on a private road / track she opens up and flys.

If you are coming up to stoneleigh I'm about 30 mins drive away if you fancy a look at mine I'm selling.

Or you could pop up sooner ( For the cars specification you would be getting a lot for your money )

Regards,

Steve

I'm hoping to get to stoneleigh, I am heading to shuttleworth for their season opener and planning to travel up the same eve.

I'm just of J10 of the M42 so feel free to drop in ( I may be working on the Sat and Sunday Day times but can arrange something if needed )