888r GG or old style 888 sg

S2T

Which is the quicker tyre with an ambient temperature of 17-20degrees...for 5 minute track use

SG is much softer. 

In competition terms, GG is a medium/hard rubber. Best for trackdays etc. But for sprinting SG would surely be the better of the two.

I can't remember if SG was the softest or GGG, but certainly GG was the hardest of the 3.

I was thinking that Stephen but was wondering if the ambient and therefore track temperatures is higher than normal whether better to go for the slightly harder tyre

The problem here, is that there is 15 years of evolution between the two tyres.

Old style sg was the medium soft back on the olds toyos... 888

The newer GG of the 888R is a completely different compound than the old gg. Is grippier, sidewalls are MUCH stiffer and tyre much durable, so my bet would be for a set of the newer model 888 in gg without a doubt if the choice is between toyos

HOWEVER after having used both models quite a lot, and i would discard them both on favour of the Nankang A1R, because is simply a MUCH better tyre.

Ah, I mis-read the original post, I was thinking that we were being asked to compare the old 888 in GG with the old 888 in SG. 

Having read Maurici's post, I re-read the O/P, and agree entirely with Maurici. In fact, can you still get the old 888 in any compound, or are we talking about old stock? For competition purposes I'd always avoid old stock, whatever the tyre.

1 hour ago, stephenh said:

Ah, I mis-read the original post, I was thinking that we were being asked to compare the old 888 in GG with the old 888 in SG. 

Having read Maurici's post, I re-read the O/P, and agree entirely with Maurici. In fact, can you still get the old 888 in any compound, or are we talking about old stock? For competition purposes I'd always avoid old stock, whatever the tyre.

You can get new stock of SG for the old model... and isnt bad. But, i think the new ones are better.