Tow car

BenD

1 hour ago, Ben (bunje) said:

is that a pajero?

A seven seater nissan terrano 2

• Like 1

Something rear or 4 wheel drive. Had a BMW 5 series Tourer and apart from being a great, if expensive for what you get car, it was superb at towing. I now have a 2nd hand 2011 170BHP Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI Estate, it's fully loaded and great car for the money but it's rubbish at towing.

2 hours ago, Ben (bunje) said:

i need to get this sorted aswell so i can make the trackday at cadwell

Yea, hurry up and get sorted.. never thought it would be so hard to get five cars to Cadwell. :down:

38 minutes ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

Who’s on the list Andrew?

It's still as per the Cadwell thread. I need five 100%ers  to get the discount group set up.

Interest so far:

Me 100%

Stoney 100%

Ross 100%

Mike Whitworth .. 90%?

Bunje Ben .. probable

Chris King .. probable

Second the terrano, especially the 3.0 litre version which is more economical than the 2.7 litre one. My son has had a number of them and they have been really rugged as he works as a forester. However you now have to watch the chassis very carefully as they are really prone to rust, especially the newer ones (his last one had the chassis snap just behind rear wheels)The older ones are more prone to body rot.  Having said all the above he would go back to a terrano at the drop of a hat if he could find one without too much rust.

hope this helps 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uisdean said:

Second the terrano, especially the 3.0 litre version which is more economical than the 2.7 litre one. My son has had a number of them and they have been really rugged as he works as a forester. However you now have to watch the chassis very carefully as they are really prone to rust, especially the newer ones (his last one had the chassis snap just behind rear wheels)The older ones are more prone to body rot.  Having said all the above he would go back to a terrano at the drop of a hat if he could find one without too much rust.

hope this helps 

Seems to be a reoccurring theme of 4x4s in my budget. Rusty chassis 

Anyone have any experience with a freelander? Seem to be plenty out there within budget but I'm not sure if that's a good thing 

I had a petrol one from new in 2001-2004. No problems. Brother has a diesel one now had it for a good 5 - 6 years from a year old, only issue was a split turbo hose recently.

I have heard of cylinder head issues, but no experience of it.

Not the most comfy car and they're not as big inside as you’d think especially boot space. 

Towed pretty good (never had nothing heavy mind) and was ace in the snow.

1 hour ago, Ben (bunje) said:

Seems to be a reoccurring theme of 4x4s in my budget. Rusty chassis 

Oh. Well. With this budgets (i paid 1500 for it) i buy a car for two years... anything over it, is a bonus.

Mines had 12 month MOT and an advisory few years back for rust in the body which was sorted and none since then.

Chasis is not (too) bad yet, but i will invest zero on it... and it will last whatever will last.

So far, the best car ever. Towed the covered trailer last week to anglesey and in the motorway up to  of 85mph ejem... i mean 60 and was really really good. Super stable and you could barely feel the car in the back.

Is incredible, with 120hp... tows much better than my old legacy with 175hp. 

9 hours ago, maurici said:

Oh. Well. With this budgets (i paid 1500 for it) i buy a car for two years... anything over it, is a bonus.

Mines had 12 month MOT and an advisory few years back for rust in the body which was sorted and none since then.

Chasis is not (too) bad yet, but i will invest zero on it... and it will last whatever will last.

So far, the best car ever. Towed the covered trailer last week to anglesey and in the motorway up to  of 85mph ejem... i mean 60 and was really really good. Super stable and you could barely feel the car in the back.

Is incredible, with 120hp... tows much better than my old legacy with 175hp. 

think i need to look into them a bit more then. whats the tax like on them

Why do you need a 2T towing capacity Ben? A bit less opens up a world of nice estate cars..

10 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

think i need to look into them a bit more then. whats the tax like on them

Tax is "very" expensive... and still is the cheapest of the cars I have. 

I think I'm paying 21 quid a month, same that the westy. I pay almost 30 for the Z4... so happy enough with the terrano.

Regarding the car:

I have to admit that I bought it for sentimental reasons:

My first job in the automotive world was in a nissan dealership back in the late nineties, and it was the car that the posh guys in my town use to buy... and I remembered it as a super reliable car.

several years later, I did work in the factory that build all the european terranos in Barcelona. So I just "went for it" when I saw it advertised with 12 months MOT.

Now, after 6 months of ownership, I can tell that is the best purchase I've ever made. Really cheap to run (will return about 26mpg driving it flat out in the motorway with the trailer), it does have LOADS of torque, and keep legal speeds in B-roads is an absolute challenge, and it makes it EXTREMELY fun to drive. (**** fun... no motorsport fun). And it goes sideways pretty easily in the junctions and roundabouts.

It is bigger than my house, so I can fit everything in the back, and Ocasionally I've been transporting 6 people inside plus of the driver. So far, asked for nothing... I would encourage you to go for it.

Mines is the 2.7TDI.

16 minutes ago, maurici said:

Tax is "very" expensive... and still is the cheapest of the cars I have. 

I think I'm paying 21 quid a month, same that the westy. I pay almost 30 for the Z4... so happy enough with the terrano.

Regarding the car:

I have to admit that I bought it for sentimental reasons:

My first job in the automotive world was in a nissan dealership back in the late nineties, and it was the car that the posh guys in my town use to buy... and I remembered it as a super reliable car.

several years later, I did work in the factory that build all the european terranos in Barcelona. So I just "went for it" when I saw it advertised with 12 months MOT.

Now, after 6 months of ownership, I can tell that is the best purchase I've ever made. Really cheap to run (will return about 26mpg driving it flat out in the motorway with the trailer), it does have LOADS of torque, and keep legal speeds in B-roads is an absolute challenge, and it makes it EXTREMELY fun to drive. (**** fun... no motorsport fun). And it goes sideways pretty easily in the junctions and roundabouts.

It is bigger than my house, so I can fit everything in the back, and Ocasionally I've been transporting 6 people inside plus of the driver. So far, asked for nothing... I would encourage you to go for it.

Mines is the 2.7TDI.

I'll have a good look on the Internet today see if I can find any close by. I have a quiet afternoon