French Car Museum

pistonbroke

Yes, this is every bit as impressive as the article suggests. I visited this museum some years ago with my brother-in-law who is a classic Lancia nut. If you get a chance to visit, take it. You wont be disappointed.

I too have been there, the story is just so bizzare almost beyond belief. They did not only collect Bugatti cars, but workshop tools, a submarine engine and all sorts of things.

What we were told was they had got loans from the French government to prop up the business, but used those to buy more cars and it was when the French authorities sent an inspector to find out what was happening to their loan that it all started to unravel.

This led to the staff riots (French are good at this) and they did a runner to Switzerland. The Museum was opened and as soon as the French Government saw it was a viable way of getting back their money it was put in protected status and set on the road to how it is today.

The scale of this is mind boggling, if you walk up and down every aisle you will cover 15 miles. It is undoubtedly a site to behold but few of these cars ever see the light of day. 

9 hours ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

We’ll be passing here on hols , just to convince everyone else to drool over some old Bugatti’s ....

Convinced!!

• Haha 1