Zetec vs Duratec

Dave-2000SEiW

Anyone know how much a Duratec installation will cost me?

I’m trying to decide between 2000 Zetec or 2000 Duratec

As always It all comes down to cost

Dave

I can't see much difference between the two as the engines will cost more or less the same from the breakers.

You will need an engine management system, inlet and exhaust manifolds, throttle bodies etc which ever engine you choose.

The duratec exhaust is on the right and the zetec is on the left (as you sit in the car) if you're replacing a xflow or pinto. If it's a new build you'll need to fit a Cat to get through SVA.

Richard.

Anyone know how much a Duratec installation will cost me?

Dave, I've done it. If you tell me what bhp your looking for and what bits you've currently got and transmission I might be able to help.

Conibear

I’m just starting

So I have SEIW module one with floor mounted peddles for the zetec and wide tunnel for the MT75 and thats about it at the moment.

BHP wise I’m looking for around 180 to start, with the ability to tune in the future.

I’m based on the south coast (Hants), do you know of anyone who has a Duratec in this part of the world?

I thought about the Zetec/Duratec choice myself; decided the Duratec route would be too expensive. It's such a recent engine, I would need to have a Cat for SVA/emissions/MOTs, which then meant tb fuel injection, tuning parts seemed to be that bit less common, and that bit more expensive...  :(

So instead, I'm heading the pre '95 2.0l Zetec/twin Webbers no Cat route. (Mind you, fuel injection might come when upgradeitis sets in   :devil: )

I’m based on the south coast (Hants), do you know of anyone who has a Duratec in this part of the world?

Raceline just down the A3 are based in Guilford. They can get you one, but only new I think, circa £1600.00. Otherwise try breakers yards, insurance crash salvage companies. The only car in the UK that has the 2L is the Mondeo. You could search in the US from similar avenue's as this eninge is more common over there. Give Raceline a ring 01483 811978 there into the Duratec in a big way. 180bhp is the standard stock lump.

Your module kit is the same spec as mine and it worked out great. Install the Type 9 box, much better than the MT75 and enables the engine to go back. Your need to adapt the gearbox chassis mount thou. If you got the Zetec wiring loom there will need to be a few joints/extensions to that. If I can be of any help contact me as I'm in Surrey.

Ian

Install the Type 9 box, much better than the MT75 and enables the engine to go back. Your need to adapt the gearbox chassis mount thou.

Not strictly true about the further back bit.

In my chassis, the MT75 sits in a wide tunnel, and sits as far back as it is possible to go.   The thermostat housing is very close to the rear chassis rail, so the gearbox is not the restricting factor in my installation.

I'd agree, the Type 9 is the best route still though, but for road use, where gear ratios are not critical, either MT75 or Type 9 will do just as well.

Have a word with Ammo at Raceco -  he is a blatchatter who tunes engines for a living, including the Duratec. He maybe able to supply you with a new duratec at a good price (if he has any left...)

He is very enthusiatic about duratecs and is replacing his tuned Zetec with a tuned Duratec over the winter

If you do a search on blatchat you will find a lot of threads about duratecs which may also help you decide

Just to add my 2p worth if I was doing another build I would be fitting the D/tech but I would be holding fire on tuning it at the moment. I would be wanting to see results that others have had first.

Dave,

If I understand things properly you already have a Zetec Chassis ?? If so, you do not have a choice: the Zetec and the Duratec chassis are not the same. A Duratec engine has an oil filter on the off side of the engine which fouls the Zetec chassis. If you want me to I can email you some pictures of a Duratec chassis which I currently have at home.