Hall effect speed sensor?

GaryD1971

Hi all. 

I'm looking for a speed sensor for an electronic speedo if anyone has one. Hall effect if possible. 

Many thanks. 

Edited by GaryD1971
Spelling mistake

5 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I bought one like this for a few quid. Works perfectly!

Wow! That's cheap! Thanks Chris. I'll order one of those. 

Did it connect up easily? I assume the 3 wires are ground, signal and 12v supply which would match up to the input wire on my racetech speedo.

7 hours ago, GaryD1971 said:

Wow! That's cheap! Thanks Chris. I'll order one of those. 

Did it connect up easily? I assume the 3 wires are ground, signal and 12v supply which would match up to the input wire on my racetech speedo.

Yes, 3 wires are as you say. For the price it was worth a punt - not sure if that's the exact same one I got a year or two back, but looks identical and the specs appear to match. I think I paid £3.99 delivered - and as I said, works perfectly.

• Thanks 1

Does it need a magnet or does it work off the head of a bolt? I've seen some that come with a magnet and others that don't. They all seem to be about the same price range. 

You should get one with no magnet required. Mine doesn’t need one. 

Interesting, Hall effect sensors are normally used with magnets aren’t they? I thought it was VR sensors that simply detected a ferrous target, like a bolt head.

Maybe using the wrong term - but I thought Hall effect was just using ferrous -  pretty sure mine was call a Hall effect sensor and has no magnet. The one I had before used a magnet and was 2 wire. 

It’s true, three wire types don’t usually need magnets!

Thanks chaps. I'm going to order one with 3 wires and see what happens. Haven't exactly lost a lot if it doesn't work. :yes:

I have the Honeywell one as recommended by SCS, works a treat GT101 is the part number i think. Just needs your nuts going past the end :)

1 hour ago, David_Thame said:

I have the Honeywell one as recommended by SCS, works a treat GT101 is the part number i think. Just needs your nuts going past the end :)

:laugh: have to be careful doing that.... :getmecoat:

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of those sensors, it three wire but Hall effect not induction, you will need a magnet. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

On 08/04/2019 at 16:43, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I bought one like this for a few quid. Works perfectly!

I bought one similar to this Chris, and it works really well. I went for the induction type as opposed to the hall effect (they may both be the same?). Cheap as chips off fleabay and easy to wire in! 

Thanks for the recommendation. 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.