New to WSCC and after a decent car

maddog

Evening all. Im new here :)

I have come from the world of Bike engine cars, such as the Roadrunner Racing SR1 but have decided to go for a normal engine car. It will be mainly for track but needs to be road legal.

Ive seen a few Avons and E1s and a Westfield with a Zetec-r engine.

Is there anything i need to look out for or any warning signs? I need 200-300 bhp so presume Zetec/Duratec engined?

Welcome.

You’ll. need more than a standard Zetec or Duratec to get more than 200bhp and either forced induction or SERIOUS money to hit 300. 

But dont let that stop you :d

• Like 1

:ww: from sunny Somerset. Best of luck with your search?

53 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Welcome.

You’ll. need more than a standard Zetec or Duratec to get more than 200bhp and either forced induction or SERIOUS money to hit 300. 

But dont let that stop you :d

Do you know what the baseline figures are for the standard 2.0L zetec and Zetec-r engines fitted to a conventional Westy?

Depends on induction mostly, but around 160-170bhp is common for a silvertop and 170-180bhp is fairly normal for a Blacktop Zetec (both on throttle bodies) mine is a healthy 184bhp and 175ftlb which is nice for a standard lump

A Duratec will often give around 180-190bhp and can be easily tuned to around 220 - whereas a Zetec needs a fair bit of work to get that. 

300bhp normally aspirated is possible from a Duratec but you’re looking at £10k plus (on top of std engine etc)

Then there’s forced induction which can cost less (£2-3k ish over and above the engine and ECU) which will punt out more depending on how strong you build the bottom end.

Zetec as standard should take 230-240 forced. No idea about Duratec, but imagine they’d be a tad stronger as standard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maddog said:

I need 200-300 bhp so presume Zetec/Duratec engined? 

Take a look at the Honda powered Mega S2000.

240 bhp standard and quite a few more horses through subtle upgrades without breaking the bank (although everyone's bank is relative)

You've just missed TJ's car being sold which was a fine example

Duratec with Mild cams and throttle bodies only will see 210-220bhp. 

Whats a Zetec-R?

Hi, I'm just in the process of writing my ad out for this to go in the for sale section.  I've decided to sell my car which I've just completed building. It was registered on the 1st April this year and has done around 35 miles. 

This is a link to it's eBay listing if the mods find this acceptable?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202639166270

Thanks

Mike 

4 minutes ago, Valentinik said:

I've decided to sell my car which I've just completed building

Wow! That's a real shame Mike - such a nicely built car.

31 minutes ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

Whats a Zetec-R?

It just a way to differentiate from a Zetec SE (yamaha designed 1600/1700) - so it's the usual Zetec Silvertop/Blacktop

19 minutes ago, Valentinik said:

This is a link to it's eBay listing if the mods find this acceptable?

That's fine Mike - we usually suggest adding links in to the External Ads section, but as you are a well known member, we'll let you off :d

@maddog you'll not get a better car than this for the money.

15 hours ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

Duratec with Mild cams and throttle bodies only will see 210-220bhp. 

Whats a Zetec-R?that comes with 160,190,230 bhp

Its a Raceline engine that comes with 160,190 or 230 bhp

Thanks for the replies chaps. It has given me food for thought. Maybe i was asking for too much with wanting 300 bhp :)

I will aim for 200-250 instead.

Mike's car is a fair bit out of my price range but looks really nice.

If i cant find a Westfield that fits my criteria i might have to return to bike engine cars!

Ive had a good look at the previous for sale posts and there have been some amazing cars sold on here so i reckon i will keep watching over the next month or so and see what pops up. Cheers once again for the help.

My buddy has a 2L Zetec that he has put a turbo on, and in mild tune ATM is around 225BHp, with more available as he strengthens the car and changes the map etc.  Needed new injectors as well after fitting the turbo, but it's sexy as hell to look at .

Would suggest not getting to held up on BHP, don't forget the car as an overall package with lightness and handling will give more over raw BHP.  Don't forget items like LSD's and suspension make up a big part of the package when looking at potential purchases.

S2000 based would appear to be able to hit 230-40 plus, but as you start to climb up the BHP, the costs start to mount.  Duratec look highly tunable but I've been told are a bit heavier.

Ford Ecoboost powered cars are starting to be more widely used, with as I understand it the 1600 being tuneable to silly BHP.  My 2.0L Ecoboost is somewhat less tunable, but options are starting to appear and still makes me smile like a loony when you step on the loud pedal.

Dave at http://www.gemzoe.com/ is  really good bloke to talk to on engines and 7's and I believe has done a lot on (filthy word) Caterhams with the 1600 EcoBoost

Not sure where you are in the country, but would recommend getting along to local group and have a chat with them, was the best move I ever did before I started my WF journey and picked up some great friends along the way, 

Just my 2p worth :westy:

19 minutes ago, BugMan said:

S2000 based would appear to be able to hit 230-40 plus, but as you start to climb up the BHP, the costs start to mount.  Duratec look highly tunable but I've been told are a bit heavier.

F20C is way heavier than a duratec... IIRC weights are (approx!)

2.0 Duratec 105kg

2.0 Zetec 120kg

F20C 145kg??