Luggage Racks

LukeW

I have FW Body with a Playskool Full Cage, 

I'm looking at making my own rack that I can bolt on when needed and will allow access to the fuel filler cap without removing the gear from it each time.

I have seen what @marcusb and @Terryathome have done from their previous threads squeaky spanners tour. 

So post up images of your luggage racks any shape or size so I can work out what sort of design I fancy trying to make. 

Alternatively if you know where they can be brought to bolt straight on please share, I have already PM'd @Paul Ash as I have seen him mentioned in other threads to but not sure that style would suit FW body with full cage.

Thanks

Luke

I don't think that the FW bodywork would be a problem with one of Paul's racks. Thy are nice quality. The only problem might be whether the clamps are the right dimensions for your full cage. It was really designed to go on the back of the old RAC (so called) braced hoop which Westfield used to do.

I had one for my old car, but when I got rid of the RAC style bar and fitted a full cage I sold the rack as I wasn't likely to use it on the cage.

The rack was perfect size to strap the large Ortlieb sailor's style bag on. In fact, I've still got my old Ortlieb bag, which if anyone wants to give me a modest sum for, they can have it. It is red.

You have to use a larger exhaust clamp with the MSA roll bar. I used to use 4mm thick rubber between the clamp and roll bar but found the rubber was to soft and marked the coating. From this I started to use an old cut up timing belt with the teeth pointing out wards which did't mark the roll bar coating and is a lot more substantial. It's quite surprising how big the clamps have to be.

4 hours ago, Terryathome said:

You have to use a larger exhaust clamp with the MSA roll bar. I used to use 4mm thick rubber between the clamp and roll bar but found the rubber was to soft and marked the coating. From this I started to use an old cut up timing belt with the teeth pointing out wards which did't mark the roll bar coating and is a lot more substantial. It's quite surprising how big the clamps have to be.

Have you any pictures if yours Terry .

I use some split silicone hose on mine to protect the roll bar coating:

IMG_0892.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, but it fits on the boot lid directly, so won't carry as much of a load as the one above. Plus, obviously, requires you to drill mounting holes in the lid.

3 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Yes, but it fits on the boot lid directly, so won't carry as much of a load as the one above. Plus, obviously, requires you to drill mounting holes in the lid.

Mine is tested to 115 mph on the German Autabahn :d

• Like 2

Marcus, that doesn't look like a Paul Ash luggage rack, unless he's changed it quite a bit.

13 hours ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Have you any pictures if yours Terry .

Mine fits more in board than @marcusb rack

image.png.6c501c8a892b9455b32058375e22b459.png

I'd love to use something similar, however with an aero screen, I don't want my luggage to become a huge air brake :bangshead:

1 hour ago, Terryathome said:

Mine fits more in board than @marcusb rack

How do you get on with accessing filler cap with all your gear on with it more in board?

1 hour ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

I'd love to use something similar, however with an aero screen, I don't want my luggage to become a huge air brake :bangshead:

I'd rather not go this route but with 2 up camping, I think I will need the space :(

I'm not particularly looking forward to the drive with the huge airbrake on the back as you say, but time will tell :)

8 minutes ago, LukeW said:

I'd rather not go this route but with 2 up camping, I think I will need the space :(

I'm not particularly looking forward to the drive with the huge airbrake on the back as you say, but time will tell :)

You'll have two bodies sat in front of it anyway from the sound of it, so the airflow will be pretty disrupted anyway!

• Haha 1

I find it reasonably straightforward with a waterproof bag strapped on the back, no rack. Got quite adept at undoing two straps, slinging the bag on the drivers seat, and fuelling. With the size of bag we use, not sure if any rack could make the fuel filler accessible!

image.thumb.jpeg.80d2d7211cdf66abb32f9284a3d6ca21.jpeg

I got some longer rear straps from SBFS, they hold the bag in place with the half hood on.

image.thumb.jpeg.48a3deee9d6b99a3a34ec2ffbd76c2a0.jpeg