Not an April fool--MPs pay rise!!!!!

DonPeffers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47405259

"MPs are to receive a 2.7% pay rise from April, taking their salary to £79,468.

The rise follows a 1.8% rise last year, 1.4% in 2017, 1.3% in 2016 and a large hike, from £67,000 to £74,000, in 2015.

So basic MPs salary up by 18.6% over the last 5 years, meanwhile  those who are claiming any kind of benefits - including Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support or Housing benefit, the rates will stay the same as have been frozen for 4 years.

The majority of working age benefits have been frozen at the 2015/16 levels, meaning they won't get hiked in line with inflation.

Keep up the good work lads and lasses?!

Meanwhile France has just had its 20th weekend of demonstrations.   31 Mar 2019  https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Drop-in-gilets-jaunes-movement-across-France-as-protest-bans-enacted

"There was a drop in gilets jaunes protesters in France this weekend, with 33,700 in total - according to official figures - as many cities enacted their protest bans in anticipation of escalating violence.

Across the country, 27 decrees were enacted on Saturday March 30 - the 20th consecutive weekend of the movement - forbidding any protests that authorities believe have the potential to become violent and destructive.

The new protest fine of €135 per person for anyone found in breach of the rules, was also in place.

Overall, there was a drop in numbers compared to the 40,500 counted nationwide last weekend."

The French seem to like a protest whereas the Brits just like a cuppa.

It's out-ragious they are paid so little they hold massive responsibility and our futures in there hands.       If they was paid more being an MP would be a genuine career choice for the brightest and most experienced people in the UK.     They should be treated like normal employees then we (the ultimate customer)  would attract some smart individuals.   Not the monkeys we have now.   If lets say they fell asleep at there jobs,  or fiddled their expenses they should be sacked just like the rest of us would.    It's questionable what worthwhile life experiences many of our political leaders have other than going to the right school and being fiancially "sponsored" before going into politics.    Being the star at the boys school Debating society does not mean they know anything...         

Paying footballers 78k a week to kick a bag of wind seams perfectly acceptable

3 hours ago, DamperMan said:

It's out-ragious they are paid so little they hold massive responsibility and our futures in there hands.       If they was paid more being an MP would be a genuine career choice for the brightest and most experienced people in the UK.     They should be treated like normal employees then we (the ultimate customer)  would attract some smart individuals.   Not the monkeys we have now.   If lets say they fell asleep at there jobs,  or fiddled their expenses they should be sacked just like the rest of us would.    It's questionable what worthwhile life experiences many of our political leaders have other than going to the right school and being fiancially "sponsored" before going into politics.    Being the star at the boys school Debating society does not mean they know anything...         

Paying footballers 78k a week to kick a bag of wind seams perfectly acceptable

Agreed, I wouldn't take £80k a year to take all that crap.

Being an MP is effectively a part time job and they are rewarded well for what they do. The salary is just part of their package as they can claim expenses on so many things that further expand their pay.

They buy a London home, get extra cash for it for example and then take a profit when selling. I would buy a block of flats on a London Sink Estate and then they live there free as long as they need one. Lose an election and a new MP in. Cheaper security and I guess the area would soon flourish with crime dropping and the economy prospering as the stark reality away from Notting hill sets in.

The big thing for me is the crassness of the decision, which they will say was not their choice as it was an independent review body who recommended this. They could of course refuse this but somehow that will never happen so they can further rub the noses of NHS staff and other low paid public sector workers as well as pensioners who have nothing like this package.

The only way they deserve more is if they do just one job, nothing else and if they were paid on results they would owe us money at the moment. In the past we had a good mix of people who were MP's, from those who had worked hard in a proper job and then worked up through local politics and then some from the educated process of public school. What we have now is a sad mix of career politicians who have no experience of the world outside the Westminster bubble and inept people who have been selected to stand due to quotas and the need to show just how PC a party is..

I feel a politics rant coming on.....        o god it’s hard to hold back......     

Any chance of paying them by results (performance pay) and not the kind of theatrical performance some put on in The Commons?

Politicians do OK for themselves with Directorships and plenty knowledge of forthcoming legislation and how to profit from it.

I'm coming around to the idea that we need a proportional voting system to break the two party system, encourage cross-party alliances and never again get into the hung Parliament situation as now when nothing gets accepted, only voted down.

Grey seems to be the colour of choice and strong leadership out of fashion!

I believe for what they do are vastly over paid.. we also have too many of them..other real world business has to be lean..we should at least halve the number of politicians!

Why don't they have to follow the tax laws like everyone one else..

Normally I don't voice my opinion but thought why not..perfect opportunity!