Sign in to follow this  
Brad Stone

Help me identify... Driveshafts?!

Brad Stone

Good evening fine folk! 

As some of you know, I recently acquired a lovely Pinto powered SEi, and have been giving it a thorough once over. When giving it a quick test drive, I noticed a slight knocking coming from the propshaft / rear of the car, coupled with a slight gear stick shake intermittently. I thought this may be a lose gearbox mount or diff mounting bolt, however on further inspection there seems to be some inherent "up and down" play in the offside rear driveshaft. 

I am looking to replace the full driveshaft / CV joint, but would like to understand exactly which type of shafts they are and where I can source a new unit? 

Many thanks in advance - Pictures below. 

/B

IMG_20190330_132730.jpg

IMG_20190330_132735.jpg

Jon Wilkinson

Hi, they look like the push in type lobro joints, Ford sierra type, I got them from Ford main dealers, built them up only to find I had the wrong diff, as I needed the bolt on type due to the Westfield hubs, so ended up cutting them off and changing the diff for the bolt on driveshafts, the joys of building first kit car albeit many years ago, I would take the driveshaft with you. 

• Like 1

SootySport

It may be just one of the cv joints that need renewing, just narrow it down to which one.

• Like 1

Brad Stone
10 hours ago, Jon Wilkinson said:

Hi, they look like the push in type lobro joints, Ford sierra type, I got them from Ford main dealers, built them up only to find I had the wrong diff, as I needed the bolt on type due to the Westfield hubs, so ended up cutting them off and changing the diff for the bolt on driveshafts, the joys of building first kit car albeit many years ago, I would take the driveshaft with you. 

10 hours ago, SootySport said:

It may be just one of the cv joints that need renewing, just narrow it down to which one.

Hi @Jon Wilkinson / @SootySport,

Thanks for this - hopefully I will be able to replace the faulty CV joint. Should there be anything else I need to look for once I take the shaft out? Splines etc? 

/B

Jon Wilkinson

With driveshaft off u will be able to test which joint has worn out, strip and replace as required :)

SootySport

Circlips hold the cv joints on to the driveshaft. If you wipe away the grease you’ll see them. Might as well change the rubber boots whilst it’s all apart.

Brad Stone

I called Westfield today and they mentioned they knew which shaft it was - however they have a lead time of 10 days. However on searching the site they only seem to have the bolt on type Sierra shafts. 

I don't have the luxury of time as we have a road trip to Scotland coming up on the Easter weekend, and thus I need to get the car ready for then! 

Would this likely fit chaps? Worth a try? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F141023774201

/B

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Be aware that unless it’s a Sierra SDV, the drive shafts themselves are bespoke to Westfield. As others have said though, you possibly don’t need the drive shaft itself, just replacement joint(s) whichnare standard Sierra items, from the looks of the pictures it’s the Tripod type joints, as opposed to the bolt on Lobros.

Jon Wilkinson

Euro car parts may have them but it was a main dealer part when I got mine albeit years ago so u might be lucky with aftermarket car parts but probably end up at Ford dealer :)

Brad Stone
8 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Be aware that unless it’s a Sierra SDV, the drive shafts themselves are bespoke to Westfield. As others have said though, you possibly don’t need the drive shaft itself, just replacement joint(s) whichnare standard Sierra items, from the looks of the pictures it’s the Tripod type joints, as opposed to the bolt on Lobros.

It is a Sierra SDV I believe Dave - I will try and source the CV separately. Are the inners the same as the outers? Apologies if this sounds like a stupid question! 

1 minute ago, Jon Wilkinson said:

Euro car parts may have them but it was a main dealer part when I got mine albeit years ago so u might be lucky with aftermarket car parts but probably end up at Ford dealer :)

Thanks mate - I will pop in and see if they can help! 

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Calling @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO He’s a little more familiar with the asierra SDV than me!

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

Hello!

Sierra SDV uses std Sierra drive shaft lengths. You could try CPS Drivelink in Gateshead, they will make pretty much any driveshaft up.

Ebay has a few https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SIERRA-2-0-PETROL-DRIVESHAFT-OFF-SIDE-CV-JOINT-1982-1993/141023774201?hash=item20d5ac05f9:g:gREAAOSw6VRaPQBk

Remember that they are different lengths for offside and nearside.

• Like 2

Brad Stone

Chris, Dave, 

Thank you so much - I have ordered the above link! 

Should be here on Wednesday, plenty of time for Scotland! 

Thanks all. 

Brads

Jon Wilkinson

Perfect, don't even have to paint it lol

Brad Stone
4 minutes ago, Jon Wilkinson said:

Perfect, don't even have to paint it lol

Bonus! The existing one looks a little shabby anyhow!