Jump to content

Help me identify... Driveshafts?!


Brad Stone
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good evening fine folk! 

As some of you know, I recently acquired a lovely Pinto powered SEi, and have been giving it a thorough once over. When giving it a quick test drive, I noticed a slight knocking coming from the propshaft / rear of the car, coupled with a slight gear stick shake intermittently. I thought this may be a lose gearbox mount or diff mounting bolt, however on further inspection there seems to be some inherent "up and down" play in the offside rear driveshaft. 

I am looking to replace the full driveshaft / CV joint, but would like to understand exactly which type of shafts they are and where I can source a new unit? 

Many thanks in advance - Pictures below. 

/B

IMG_20190330_132730.jpg

IMG_20190330_132735.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, they look like the push in type lobro joints, Ford sierra type, I got them from Ford main dealers, built them up only to find I had the wrong diff, as I needed the bolt on type due to the Westfield hubs, so ended up cutting them off and changing the diff for the bolt on driveshafts, the joys of building first kit car albeit many years ago, I would take the driveshaft with you. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It may be just one of the cv joints that need renewing, just narrow it down to which one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jon Wilkinson said:

Hi, they look like the push in type lobro joints, Ford sierra type, I got them from Ford main dealers, built them up only to find I had the wrong diff, as I needed the bolt on type due to the Westfield hubs, so ended up cutting them off and changing the diff for the bolt on driveshafts, the joys of building first kit car albeit many years ago, I would take the driveshaft with you. 

 

 

 

10 hours ago, SootySport said:

It may be just one of the cv joints that need renewing, just narrow it down to which one.

Hi @Jon Wilkinson / @SootySport,

Thanks for this - hopefully I will be able to replace the faulty CV joint. Should there be anything else I need to look for once I take the shaft out? Splines etc? 

/B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With driveshaft off u will be able to test which joint has worn out, strip and replace as required :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Circlips hold the cv joints on to the driveshaft. If you wipe away the grease you’ll see them. Might as well change the rubber boots whilst it’s all apart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I called Westfield today and they mentioned they knew which shaft it was - however they have a lead time of 10 days. However on searching the site they only seem to have the bolt on type Sierra shafts. 

I don't have the luxury of time as we have a road trip to Scotland coming up on the Easter weekend, and thus I need to get the car ready for then! 

Would this likely fit chaps? Worth a try? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F141023774201

/B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be aware that unless it’s a Sierra SDV, the drive shafts themselves are bespoke to Westfield. As others have said though, you possibly don’t need the drive shaft itself, just replacement joint(s) whichnare standard Sierra items, from the looks of the pictures it’s the Tripod type joints, as opposed to the bolt on Lobros.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Euro car parts may have them but it was a main dealer part when I got mine albeit years ago so u might be lucky with aftermarket car parts but probably end up at Ford dealer :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Be aware that unless it’s a Sierra SDV, the drive shafts themselves are bespoke to Westfield. As others have said though, you possibly don’t need the drive shaft itself, just replacement joint(s) whichnare standard Sierra items, from the looks of the pictures it’s the Tripod type joints, as opposed to the bolt on Lobros.

It is a Sierra SDV I believe Dave - I will try and source the CV separately. Are the inners the same as the outers? Apologies if this sounds like a stupid question! 

1 minute ago, Jon Wilkinson said:

Euro car parts may have them but it was a main dealer part when I got mine albeit years ago so u might be lucky with aftermarket car parts but probably end up at Ford dealer :)

Thanks mate - I will pop in and see if they can help! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello!

Sierra SDV uses std Sierra drive shaft lengths. You could try CPS Drivelink in Gateshead, they will make pretty much any driveshaft up.

Ebay has a few https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SIERRA-2-0-PETROL-DRIVESHAFT-OFF-SIDE-CV-JOINT-1982-1993/141023774201?hash=item20d5ac05f9:g:gREAAOSw6VRaPQBk

Remember that they are different lengths for offside and nearside.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris, Dave, 

Thank you so much - I have ordered the above link! 

Should be here on Wednesday, plenty of time for Scotland! 

Thanks all. 

Brads

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jon Wilkinson said:

Perfect, don't even have to paint it lol

Bonus! The existing one looks a little shabby anyhow! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.