Ear and eye protection

Ruttager

I took the aero screen off my Westfield and went back to the standard one so I don't need to use a crash helmet. I much prefer it this way as I can just jump in and don't have to carry a lid around all the time. However, I don't want to go deaf either. I have a big box of the foam ear plugs for the bike but I find they cut out too much noise and eventually hurt my ears. Is there something out there that takes the edge of the noise whilst maybe keeping my ears warm as well?  Also, what the general opinion on eye protection? I've had my fair share of bugs hit me in the face on my bike and they hit hard. Good pair of sunglasses and a spare set with clear lenses?

I always, always, always wear eye protection and you have it right with your suggestion of a 'good pair of sunglasses and a spare set with clear lenses'. Not so sure about the ears, I don't defend against the noise but wear ear muffs to keep my ears warm, which might be a bit too girly for you :) Both Glen and I wear a Squall Cap combined with a buff to cover our ears, the cap fastens under your chin which is useful to stop it flying off as you travel.

I use Endura Mullet glasses , which are cycling biased , but are plastic lenses and they do interchangeable versions . They are tough, don't have glass near eyes as impact lenses and at £45 a set , not bank breaking either. 

Oakleys in the sunshine, clear "normal" safety glasses when it's dark, something like this, but there's loads...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OX-OX-S248101-Professional-Around-Glasses/dp/B00JFY57A0/ref=sr_1_10?crid=165C8PHM45013&keywords=site+safety+glasses&qid=1553890514&s=gateway&sprefix=site+safety+%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-10

I have custom made earplugs for the noise. Most of the guys here will tell you that I don't need much of an excuse to bang on about how good I think custom earplugs are. I wear mine on the bike every day, in aircraft when I'm travelling and in the Westfield of course My only pair so far are getting on for about 15 years old and are starting to look a little worse for wear so  I'm buying some more. 15 years of almost constant use for 80 quid (back then) is cheaper than foam ones. And they'll never get nicked 'cos they only fit me.

The new ones are double the price (ouch) but if they last 15 years as well, I'll be deeply chuffed.

https://www.noisebreaker.com/

The site is very slow to load (for me anyway) so bear with it. They are in the process of making my new pair right now.

Any skiing, cycling glasses will give impact protection and are close fitting around the periphery which cut out the wind across your eyes.  Go and try a few for fit and comfort. 

I use some cheap industrial glasses that do the job of the designer jobbies just as well and don't cost the earth, just don't like poncy logos.