Speed limiters from 2022

jeff oakley

Today the EU has announced that from 2022 every car will have to be fitted with devices to limit the cars speed automatically. For the first few years they will have an on off switch but later this will not be allowed.

The road safety lobby love the idea, even the AA's Edmund King says not that great an idea. My view it is one more nail in the coffin of any expression of individuality and individual responsibility and choice, but on the upside these charities will not be needed along with those who runs speed awareness courses and camera operators and have built empires.

Makes you wonder after Brexit has been won or lost how long we will be allowed to build cars or drive anything that is not controllable by big brother.

So last chance to buy a new car 2021.

Or you could always build one :lb-westy:

What will they be set to? Didn't Volvo just saying its cars won't do more than 115 or summat?

So long as its an upper limit say 90 rather than it trying to limit you In zones then what's the issue?

Arent we getting out of the EU ? Does that gives us the freedom to not be 'controlled' ? A lot of cars are limited and seems easy enough with the right software to change it. So, you want to do a track day in your family/ sports/ M  car and it does seem a sad state of affairs, if you wander around at 90 mph :suspect:

Every new car from 2022 to have 'zone appropriate' speed limiters IIRC; so car won't exceed 30 in a 30 zone but will do 70 max. on motorway.

BBC today  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415     "Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU.

The Department for Transport said the system would also apply in the UK, despite Brexit."

I haven't seen anything suggesting pre 2022 registered vehicles would be required to have the system fitted and it would seem very unlikely.

I recall years ago in Western Australia overtaking a Roadtrain which had the main cab plus 4 trailers making it 53 metres long. Only slight snag was whilst overtaking I saw the Roadtrain was following another Roadtrain so now I had 2 to overtake and thankfully had enough acceleration and road space to do so safely.

Removing the possibility of being able to accelerate out of danger could be a problem.

It is possible that these new 'safety' devices could introduce other dangers just as in aviation where we await the full report into the 737-Max crashes.

Just seen   https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-26/clocks-changing-eu-parliament-vote-end-clock-changing-winter-time-summer-time/

26 March 2019   EU Parliament votes to end clock changes between winter and summer time----Or as The Sun announced--   British Summer Time could be replaced with Berlin time. 

Are we really taking back control?

its overrideable.

most cars now have manual sped limiters. I think they are great, no need to keep an eye on the speedo

It's more the 'black box' that will be fitted aswell that worries me. Big brother will be watching!

" Under the new rules, cars will also be fitted with compulsory data recorders, or "black boxes".

Well the tech will need to be good as a lot of people will virtually switch off while driving. I think we'll see a lot more accidents, I guess  they will be at 29.999 mph so the next thing will be to reduce the speed limits so that the impact of those accidents is less.

How is all this going to affect the small car companies and kit car industry. the Westfield, Caterham, Ariel etc 

7 minutes ago, Rhett - Joint Black Country AO said:

How is all this going to affect the small car companies and kit car industry. the Westfield, Caterham, Ariel etc 

I would imagine small niche manufacturers would be exempt - pretty much as we are currently not required to pass Euro 6 emissions at IVA and we don’t have airbags etc

Makes you wonder about the requirement of cars only being fitted with reducing devices and not motorbikes too ? I am sure that a lot of bikers get killed and more potential for being seriously injured at speeds over 90 . Seems currently that 4 wheels is the demon . Might buy a motorbike then ! 

It'll mean drivers have one less thing to pay attention to, and that's all we need, more dithery people on the roads.

28 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Oh well 2021 is the year to treat myself to a 'keeper' car then. 

"The legislation is due to come into effect from May 2022 for new models that haven’t been designed yet and May 2024 for new versions of models currently on the market." from Autocar, looks like we may have a couple of extra years for some cars.