Really Off Topic. Fence Painting

Thrustyjust

I have a pump action sprayer. It's good, but you do need to watch the wind direction as you can't actually see the overspray until its too late. Hence the speckled brown conservatory... 

Better to do it on a day with NO wind whatsoever, but where I live those days are few and far between. 

Does make a really boring job much more bearable though. And leaves time for some Westie based fun. :yellow-westy:

3 hours ago, GaryD1971 said:

I have a pump action sprayer. It's good, but you do need to watch the wind direction as you can't actually see the overspray until its too late. Hence the speckled brown conservatory... 

Better to do it on a day with NO wind whatsoever, but where I live those days are few and far between. 

Does make a really boring job much more bearable though. And leaves time for some Westie based fun. :yellow-westy:

I dont think  could manage the whole fence without wind , according to the latest wife :d She'd be happy for an hours peace in the house in an evening :oops:

Looking like Cuprinol at Screwfix is the stuff after discussing with a supplier this morning they couldnt even get anywhere close and a pump sprayer. may get this started on Saturday morning, after I finish replacing the garage door frames that are rotten and evicting a lot of cheese logs and earwigs :d

• Like 1

Best thing I have ever used was a paint roller, just need to cover up and flag stones etc, but does an excellent job.  tried all the sprayers under the sun, all of which faill and rollers are 2 a penny on cost from local DIY store, don't wast any cash on cleaning them, just bin once completed :westy:

Interesting Gents. I dont think the roller will work as I seem to have all the battened panels on my side.Will check the paint out too.

Project DIY progressing with 3 garage posts now done and one to go. Was thinking of cladding the posts with UPVC, so I dont have to paint them again, so any ideas on that one. The last frame post I did was rotten at least 10 inches up from the ground. So, theory is keeping water away by cladding may make them last another 30 years ! 

Not convinced cladding your frame posts will do much. Suspect most of the damage will be due to moisture either drawn up through the end grain where it sits on the ground. Or if if the end is well sealed any moisture getting into the post along its length will migrate to the bottom, and et voila! My humble opinion would be do as your doing by scarfing lower sections in, paint and keep an eye on them in the future.

Just my thoughts!

Very true Adge. I have glued some felt on the undersides and given it 3 coats of primer too. I have angled the cuts to prevent water ingress. Just the paint on the rest of the posts need a lot of prep and TLC before they will look good. Also it will hide the joint as expansion will mean it will crack at the cut in the future. So cutting down on future DIY is always good :) . Its been cheaper than replacing the doors , which was the initial plan , but couldnt decide on what was best for us, so a refurb, getting a spare door guts from a neighbour who changed his doors and winning a spare electric door mech on ebay means they are staying for the forseeable. Just need to paint the doors over Easter break now . 

Guess if you clad them it would save on prep and paint. Plus you won't see them if they eventually do go again ;)

Job in progress today. 16 panels sprayed this morning ................... :oops: Lunch with mum today and 12 to go later on :arse:

• Like 1