Speed trap detectors

MikeB

So as these camera's are just a Police Tax why don't we press for "No Points" up to 20% over the limit, ie up to 72 in a 60 you get fined, but no points.

I don't know the statistics, but I bet quite a few people have lost licences and then jobs over the increase in cameras. :arse:

Any thoughts ?

Nick

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Pete Collins

• XTR2Turbo

• MikeB

Ive just got a Road Angel and it always manages to find sattelites in about 20 seconds. It comes with 2 installation cables so 1 for the Westy and 1 for the Tin Top. It works every time and is very adjustable for distance/volume etc. I am really pleased with it although the Black Spot detector part is annoying after a while but then you can delete these warnings so not really a problem.

Hope u all had a good xmas and have a point free new year.

Cheers Si

I don`t suppose the addition income from the new Insurance tax would be a nice little sweetner now would it

My sister out in new Zealand says that you don't need car insurance. The government has a policy which they pay to cover third party claims. A sort of personal accident insurance for all residents that gets paid out of income tax I guess?

Saves all the aggro of expensive comprehensive premiums, cuts out the middle men & makes motoring cheap for everyone.

Of course you can get fully comp cover but to most sensible people it isn't worth it.

If you get caught for speeding in NZ I suppose there's no way its gonna indirectly affect your pocket through a premium hike.

So as these camera's are just a Police Tax why don't we press for "No Points" up to 20% over the limit, ie up to 72 in a 60 you get fined, but no points.

I don't know the statistics, but I bet quite a few people have lost licences and then jobs over the increase in cameras.  

Any thoughts ?

Have a look here

It's just a vote seeking exercise to get into power once there it will be look at all the lovely money it makes us let’s have more cameras (or is this a cynical view of politics and politicians?) :0  :angry:

If all the money raised from speed cameras goes into road safety, why does not all the road tax and all the petrol tax go into road improvements?

Because that would be far too simple why spend it on roads when it can be spent on something that Whitehall Beaurocrats will get the benefit of

I read recently that plod in norwich were stopping motorists who were (wrongly) cutting through a pedestrianised area and issuing fixed penalties. Offenders were being stopped upon leaving the pedestrian zone all in the interests of "safety". Surely cones and a meanising looking warden at the enterance to the pedestrian area would have been far more effective if safety was the overiding concern!

I've been using a Road Angel for about 6 months, very pleased with it too once I quietened the blackspot warnings. But it did highlight one thing very well....

.... I always thought that they allowed a 10% error in the speedo, as Joe Publics aren't calibrated daily like the plods  ;)  and then +3 ie 36mph,  or,  77 +7 ie 84mph. Which is why most people get away with a warning at bewteen the limits - 70-85 on the motorway (Force dependant).  

The Road Angel speed indicator is always about 3-5% lower than Mr VW's, GPS being correct of course!

If they reduce the limits to a flat 10% at 30 then I reckon a lot more people will be going to court to swear their speedo is only accurate to plus minus 10% when new (even if they tend to read low rather than high).

Its bad news which ever way you look at it

The mobile cameras are only a fund raising exercise as they are always out on very clear days when the traffic is slight so that most people are travelling a little quicker than normal, hence maximum revenue.

If the object was to save lives they would be used when traffic is heavier and the weather is poorer which would result in the idiots who do not compensate for the conditions being targeted.

Unfortunately this would reduce the revenue so is not done.

I travel throughout the UK for approx 50,000miles per annum so I speak with some experience and no one will convince me that the above is not the case.

I'll bet Ian Huntly's name would have been recorded if he had been done for doing 38 in a 30 limit.

Just one further note on our dear public servants (sic) I have just received notification of excess charges as I had not re-newed my road tax on the westy at the end of september, however they got that wrong as well as I have the tax disc to prove it. I have replied with the details but I won't hold my breath waiting for an apology.

Regards and happy new year to you all.

PeterB :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :cool:

Just got done on the M1 at 11:58pm !!

Not a car in sight - apart from the Police car that caught me from behind !!

I had observed it - one headlight was not working so I figured very very unlikely to be a Police car.  

I was doing 97 mph - (more than 70 I know) but please can someone explain why acceptable for the police car to spend 3 miles (their words ) catching me.

At least they only gave me a fixed penalty as when breathalised gave zero so guess it could have been worse.

Happy New Year from Herts constabulary

David

Hi Guys, sorry I've not been on here for a while, but one question bothers me regarding detectors - how do you keep them dry in a westy? I'm planning on buying the snooper S5-R which is the same as my dad's and seems to be OK but obviously water and electronics don't mix.

Happy new year all,

Noel

one headlight was not working

Just a pity you didn't have a camera to hand .........  :devil:  :D  :angry:  :devil:  :D  Deuce  ;)  :D

one headlight was not working

Just a pity you didn't have a camera to hand

CCTV from the motorway cameras?

In any case, I'd have pointed out the defect to the copper, and if he proceded with the ticket, I'd have asked him to get his duty supervisor/garage sergeant to attend the scene as he is/was driving a defective vehicle........may not work, but by the same token, I'd want to try to inconvenience him by at least as much as he intends to inconvenience you.

So much for the driver making an inspection of the vehicle before it leaves the garage..........which means he probably didn't check his speedo/vascar was calibrated..........I'd be writing to the Chief Constable.........

Never let the b*******s get you down.........