Speed trap detectors

MikeB

This really is a serious subject, I feel that the motorist is the number one public enemy for anyone who wants apop at us. Whilst inappropriate speed can be used as an excuse for accidents the facts do not support the lie that a third of all accidents are casued by speed. In the Bristol area the BBC did a poll and the question was simple do you support speed cameras? it was 75% against. If you want to see how serious this issue is getting you should visit pistonhead, here what began as a light hearted dig developed into verbal abuse against Mary Williams of brake. One said she was a witch and should be burnt at the stake, by the time the papers were sent a press release by Brake this had grown to DEATH THREATS and police have been called in to investigate this. It is utter tosh however it shows the power of these people, and lets not forget how much money we are talking here. This year 3 million will get tickets or put it another way £18 million to the speed camera partnerships. If Brunstron gets his way the fines will be tripled next year to £180 an offence or £54 million and spookily where you can get accounts from the camera partnerships they usually spend every penny on the scheme they collect.

There is someting perverse in a system which dishes out jail to a motorcyclist who rides at over 150mph on a clear road, yet in the same court a guy who smacked an OAP gets comunity service.

In Wales the economy is suffering as people do not go there like they used to do and some are begining to see the effect it is having on crime as they are so busy Policing for profit. The Soham trial illustrated this, the Chief Constable said they were behind in putting details of people who should be on the computer records for crimes, the press found out every force was behind, however they have enough people to process speeding offences in 14 days nationwide with no problem, interesting that!

We should all get involved, cameras have a place in urban areas so I am not against them all, but write to your MP Become a member of Safespeed or ABD email the media about the unfairness of what you see challenge lower limits if you see them in the papers planned.     We have the safest roads in the world in contradiction to what some would have you belive and whilst every death is regretable it happens what ever we do to avoid them. Take a look at the Transport 2000 website and see who sponsers them and Brake they are all people who stand to benefit from car use declining.

The control the goverment want on us is frigthening roadside fingerprints, GPS on all cars so we can be tracked/charged/fined, all Orwell got wrong from what I see is the year not 1984 but 2004. :bangshead:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Pete Collins

• XTR2Turbo

• MikeB

The west mercia speed camera sites are listed Here

Including the one that started this thread.

If it is a partnership between council, police and Magistrates  , how can anyone get a fair hearing if they dispute the offence?

• 2 weeks later...

Received an Origin B2 for Christmas from SWMBO. Looks nice and works OK........ once it's managed to pick up the satellites. However, its average time to pick up satellites, so far, is ~20 minutes, never less than 15 minutes and can be over 25. The signal strength never goes above half way up the scale - even with the receiver on the roof. I don't have a heated front screen and my handheld GPS unit works in the car just fine.

Anybody out there with an Origin B2 give me an idea of what signal strength they get.

Ta

Pete

pete

i to have just brought a b2 and could not get a satalite signal for hours. in the end i found that gps wire that plugs into the main unit was not making a good conection,after this was fixed it picked the satalite straight away and always dose in less than a minute.

adam

I have got a origin blue i in my tintop, the receiver is just jammed between the dash and windscreen.  When it first starts up in the morning it is normally fully working by the time I get to the end of my road.  If I forgot to plug it in until I am miles away it can take a few minutes to figure out where it is.  If the unit is turned off for a couple of hours it regains its position within seconds.  

I did originally have a problem with mine where it took ages to get a fix, in the end I sent it back to Origin they modified it and since then it has been fine.

the in line conection, i found the pin in the middle was not making contact with the other side when the it was pluged together. push the wire into the conecter a bit on both sides and see if that helps. worked for me

Jason, Adam,

Thanks for the info. I'll give the wires a push and see if that helps. Failing that, I think it will need to go back to Origin.

Adam - What signal strength do you get. I never see anything above half height.

Pete

The problem with the GPS systems is that they don't pinpoint the position of mobile units. Out of the times I've been nicked it has been mainly on mobile units for which a road angel would be useless. Even with added laser detection it would be too late to react to one of these mobile gadgets.

I was travelling up the M40 the other day and stopped at Warwick services to be confronted by a service station car park full of mobile units. I'd never seen anything like it before. Makes you realise just how many of these things the tax payers coffers are funding to get more money off us. There must have been 50 of these things parked there with the pigs and civvies in their yellow jackets.  :suspect:. A pity there weren't a few terrorists around cos i'd have given them a fiver to blow them all up in one hit  :angry:

The problem I have with these camera units is that it is making innocent honest people think about breaking the law to avoid future detection in their cars. I mean how do you think the pigs would react to me putting a foreign number plate on my car? It's not difficult to avoid detection but why should I feel forced to break the law for a simple matter of speed which in the correct circumstances hurts no-one? :angry:  :down:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Windy,

I don't think that most of us are buying these "safety camera" detectors just so that we can drive at twice the speed in-between them but, rather with all the other distractions on the road these days, it's very easy for your speed to creep up without you noticing and then end up getting done for a few mph over the trap limit. Certainly, that's my situation. I know that the GPS detectors are not going to pinpoint the mobile units and I still run the risk of being done by one of them "If I'm over the limit" but as I said, that's not the purpose for me having one.

Having got one, I just want it to work properly.

Pete

You're a very naughty boy!

Chris,

Do you mean "nought", as in zero?  <!--emo&:D

As in the original nothing man.

That's very mean.  :angry:

Pete

Oh, I see. You've corrected the spelling mistake before I can get my reply up.

it's very easy for your speed to creep up without you noticing and then end up getting done for a few mph over the trap limit.

The drive home from work seems very slow when I've been driving stuff at work all day? :D  :D  :zzz:  :zzz: 70 mph can feel really slow some times!!!!

:cool:

Do you mean "nought", as in zero?  <!--emo&:D

Go to bed - you've mis-spelled my spelling mistake.

How long do points stay on one's driving licence?

Remarkably my last one was Jan 31st 2000 ! - can I cash it in soon?

Suddenly realised - posting this is bound to end up with me getting zapped or flashed.

Another sideline issue with the increase in camera fines is the cost reaped in by the insurance companies :(:(  

I`ve recently been collared for 6 points in 6 months  :arse:  :arse:

3 for parking on zig zags at 9:30 on a sat night whilst collecting a chinese takeaway  :devil:  by a traffic warden

And 3  points speeding,  :down:

this little lot is going to cost me because not only has my insurance premium gone up by 20% so has the wifes on which I`m a named driver  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:

All in all over a £1000 over three years  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

I don`t suppose the addition income from the new Insurance tax would be a nice little sweetner now would it

:(  :(  ???  :0   :angry:  :suspect: