Mole

Stuck knob!

It must be difficult if your knob end is to large to push in the carpeted hole.  You could try teasing, easing and possibly lubing  the hole for a while make it more willing.   Leaving the end incut will reduce the reconstruction time later and unsightly stitching back together.   If you grab it really tight and maybe you can screw it off on your own.   I guess worst comes to worst you could reach down and raise the knob after slackening your nuts.    A safety note is be careful the box can feel quite heavy be careful of your back and after the shaft is slid out sometimes it leaks on withdrawal.   It’s not all bad news in that respect as you can top it up with fresh later.   

• Haha 6

Re lifting it, on two opposing corners by the rocker cover there are bolt holes for bolting lifting eyes.

if you don’t have lifting eyes you can use a strong bolt and washers to securely attach a chain.

EAD9C66D-14DC-402E-A647-74D66A24CC7A.png.5f40dd66c474196b67cf2fd678165736.png

Thanks Mr Meat!

Mines a carbon knob.

We all know they are extra stiff, but I had a problem with a loose screw being and coming off.

So had to cover end in silicone. Now things are very tight and I am worried about not releasing when required.

What have I started here?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mole said:

What have I started here?

If it takes your mind off the invoices coming in, that must be a good thing you have started :d

• Haha 1

Good.. because when I lived in Texas I was so dedicated to the cause I had WF engraved on my aluminium knob.. got one of the guys at work to do it! Everyone wanted one..

Unfortunately more questions on the same subject..

It looks like my shaft has been extended..there is a small amount of play in the joint when I twist it.. I can't work out how the two are joined together..looks like epoxy..

Is this a standard extension and is there an easy way to part.. 

Having stripped out the carpet so far I am thinking of leaving it all out..but need to still get it over the knob..

IMG_20190324_110834284.jpg

32 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Thats standard and just an anti vibration joint. So dont think you are blessed with a shaft extension :d

Yes, I cut that extended bit off, and fitted the knob to the bit that's left.. its just the right length imo. I remember it being a right pain to get off.. much angle grinderage! 

Ok thanks..will have to have a think..and decide if to cut it above or below the joint...

6 minutes ago, Mole said:

Ok thanks..will have to have a think..and decide if to cut it above or below the joint...

I actually removed the lower shaft from the rubber joint. As I said it's a horrible job, the rubber is well bonded to the stick. If you cut the stick below the joint I think you'll be lacking in length. :blush:

Thanks Andrew.. I wouldn't want that! I meant I might cut my knob off.. above the joint..in fact sacrifice my current knob..and then buy new one.. have to just then decide what shape..not sure what feels best in my hand!

But I agree if I cut it off below the joint then will be too short...

Yes it was a bit of a Carry On... so easy to write innuendos considering the subject matter!

Anyway.. managed to remove the knob.. I was surprised that it was just a solid lump of aluminium.. I had imagined it would have been some cheap and nasty hollow casting..

But it reminded me what bl**** good stuff Epoxy araldite is.  There was no way that was coming off without the angle grinder.. and even then it took the aluminium getting really hot and causing the araldite to heat up and melt.. before I could get it off!

Now to get on google and put in looking for a new knob!