Problems posting pictures and re-sizing

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

I used to be able to post pictures on my posts.

I was told I had to resize them.

I am on a MacBook Pro.

I open the picture. go to tools, go to resize.

I then keep lowering the figures until the forum lets me post a picture.

I am having a lot of trouble posting more than one picture.

What am I doing wrong.

Need more info please. What original sizes and what is the size when it lets you upload?

37 minutes ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

What am I doing wrong.

Using a Mac... :oops:

You’ve currently used 488 of the 500 MB allowance for images hosted on the Boardroom. (Just had a look, backstage).

So that would explain it.

OK, just made some tweaks @chris k - hopefully not treading on your toes!

We have to trike a balance between disk storage size and picture hosting limits, Chris has been increasing these in a controlled way, and taking stock of how it impacts the over all storage space used.

He has increased the members limit to 750 MB, however a small oversight would be that AO’s got left at the previous 500 MB limit.

I’ve  increased AO’s to a matching 750 MB. But, it is important to try and make sure you’re not uploading huge images, a small number, for instance were over 5 or 6 MB for single images, that’s quite big i ages on the Boardroom are automatically reduced to a smaller size when displayed on screen within a thread, BUT, those higher res. Images are still available for those that click on the “thumbnails” to open them up.

As ever, we (Chris) keep an eye on the storage we’re using and periodically review amongst the committee what needs to be done!

PS, I’ve moved the thread to Membership info and Questions as it’s one that does come up every so often, so hopefully might help anyone else that finds a similar issue.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave.

I have been turning the resolution down from from 70 or more to 15 and still only managing 1 picture. A second picture was so small you couldn’t see it.

Do I need to do something different.

I’d just try and keep pictures in the 3 MB range (or less) as a good compromise. :yes:

See how you get on!

@Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO I've seen this too. When trying to post a collection of photo's or a photo heavy update to my build thread. Initially you can add 5-10 photos (or more) in one go, then as you start to add more you get file size limit errors and you reduce the number of pics per post until you're down to one pic per update. It does make it painful. I've discussed with @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO on several occasions which usually results in him kindly increasing the limit, however as @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary has done above, this is usual an across the board increase not a per user one if I've understood the forum software setup correctly.

2 hours ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

Thanks Dave.

I have been turning the resolution down from from 70 or more to 15 and still only managing 1 picture. A second picture was so small you couldn’t see it.

Do I need to do something different.

Resolution from 70 to 15? What does that refer to Geoffrey? Resolution is the the number of pixels in an image usually expressed in pixels per inch or ppi. 300ppi is print quality and 72ppi is for screen. 

But and it’s a big but, the ppi number is the “density” of pixels and is meaningless unless it is combined with total pixel numbers. 

It is the total number of pixels that affects the size of the file regardless of the “density” and the software goes on size in both terms of pixel width and number of bytes. 

So reducing the ppi only works if you also resample st the same time. 

I’ll check backstage to see if you are over limit but in the mean time please email me one of your original images so I have an idea what we are dealing with  

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Just checked you are on 66% so a big user but not over limit. 

Chris, see my earlier post, the AO user group was still on 500 MB space allocation per user. Geoffrey was on 98% plus, usage, in till I upped the allocation to match the WSCC user group.

8 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Chris, see my earlier post, the AO user group was still on 500 MB space allocation per user. Geoffrey was on 98% plus, usage, in till I upped the allocation to match the WSCC user group.

Aha! Missed that. 

@Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO Any better now?

@Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO as you use a Mac - open any image in "Preview" and use the following settings from Tools->Adjust Size

NOTE the areas circled in RED - the resolution is totally irrelevant and can be anything  (ie any figure it happens to be, typically 72, 96 or 300)

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 10.45.43.png

1920 x 1080 is the size of a Full HD TV Screen, so plenty big enough for a Forum Post and helps keep things sweet from our end.

• Thanks 2