Virgin Media Reviews?

Andy - a15cro

We’ve currently the Virgin Media contractors turning our estate into a ploughed field laying the fibre/cable hocus-pocus for Virgin after long last. As this is all a bit new to us out in the villages what’s people’s thoughts on the service, the broadband etc? I probably won’t go with the TV as I’ve Sky Q which works well (although I’m now on box number 3!) I’m running BT Infinity but believe I’m not on the best deal so needing to consider my options. Smaller bills - more track days ;)

Bill seems to be nipped up every few months :rolleyes:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, darve said:

Bill seems to be nipped up every few months :rolleyes:

Yes, they good at doing that. Adding channels you will never use to compensate for the bill increase . Also if you say the bills gone up, they just say if you dont like it then leave basically and thats the best deal they have. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Yes, they good at doing that. Adding channels you will never use to compensate for the bill increase . Also if you say the bills gone up, they just say if you dont like it then leave basically and thats the best deal they have. 

They must have more money than sense, the guys putting the cable in on a Sunday must be making a fortune! 

1 hour ago, a15cro said:

I’m running BT Infinity but believe I’m not on the best deal so needing to consider my options

Depends what speed they're offering. Calculate cost on a £ per Mb/s basis. If they are offering fibre to the premises I'd take that because once you have fobre at the house there can be no better.

If it's cable (co-ax) to the premises then there may be limits once we get to extremes (IE more than 100Mb/s and yes I know Virgin offer more than that...) but I expect it to still be faster than BT Infinity. But it mostly comes back to £ per Mb/s. 

Choice of ISP is like anything else, it comes down to personal preference or whichever point of view persuades you the most. I'd avoid TalkTalk though.

I have personal experience of BT, Sky, Virgin Cable and one or two smaller (IE you've never heard of them) providers and they are all much of a muchness irrespective of what the shiny marketing ads say...

• Like 1

We had ours installed on a Saturday too. Team came in, dug the front garden and had to lay it in a divot they made in the path down the side on my house ( my path) then tarmac over ( not shielding in plastic, just shove the cable under the fresh tarmac :suspect: Told them I didnt want any cables at the front of the house as looks rubbish. Then a technician came in later on that day and connected up from the box they fitted onwards

• Like 1

I've currently got their 360mb/s effort, but stuck with Sky for TV. Price was on a par with line rental + broadband from Sky, but just significantly higher speeds. Not had any failures or drop outs yet.

• Like 1

I purchased Virgins top package when I moved into my house just under 2 years ago.

Had them back 3 or 4 times to sort out the internet dropping out and the TV going off. They could never sort it and neighbours who still have Virgin are experiencing the same issues with no sign of a fix. I got out within 3 months as they couldn't provide what I had signed up for.

Just my 10p's worth!

• Like 1

Had it for years in its many guises.

Internet is usually pretty robust and doesn't drop out that much. Most issues are down to their rubbish hardware. Seems like many people like to use the hub thing in modem mode and a separate router to solve issues. I find the TiVo is pants and have to have my box replaced every 2yrs. I don't rate their TV but it's not them that programme the channels so not their fault. But TBH in thinking if dropping it for freeview stuff as I mostly watch Netflix/amazon

cant really comment on phone as I don't have one and when it was forced on me I never used it.

Price wise it's all a bit rigged. So expect 40 quid at least

• Like 1

Virgin ok at my small (residential area) office. Had problems recently and they fixed it very quickly with engineer out in 24hrs. 

Have talk talk at home and no problems. 

Both are business plans though. (Worked from home  when I set it up and still do office work mr tax man)

• Like 1

We've had Virgin for broadband for many years.  It's been mostly reliable, and when there is a fault they seem to fix it quickly, unlike BT.

The annual price rises are a nuisance, and i will have to threaten to leave when the next one comes through.

Geoff

• Like 1

ive had virgin internet for years and have only had one problem since having it installed in our house 6 years ago. the bill increase does get annoying but you can haggle it back down or just leave and start it in someone else name. the superhub router doesnt have the best wirless signal but all my stuff is hardwired one problem i did find is once youve had the speed its hard to drop back down to a lesser speed

• Like 1

I went for the full package just over a year ago, so have virgin, sky, netflix, broadband (fibre optic) and the phone all from virgin.

Has saved me money over the old phone, talk talk broadband and sky. Service has been good and installation trouble free...

Worked for me so far.

Mart.

• Like 1

I've been with virgin for years, the cost can be eye watering but I think for similar packages from other providers it's in the same ball park. the Broadband speed does tend to be fast and reliable, They do have the issues like most providers but when I've had then they do tend to get sorted reasonably quickly. 

I do now use the super hub as a router only as I've put my own switch/firewall and wireless access points in place which has made the whole setup more reliable.