Devon and Somerset AO- WANTED !

Dave Licence

Hi all,

I’ve been interested in Westfields for many years, but was never in a position to get my hands on one. That was until summer last year when I finally took the plunge after gawping at the club stand at Stoneleigh for hours, joined the club and through the club found my current car. The Westfield is my third kit car and whilst I didn’t build the car I am enthusiastic with adding upgrades! I will be writing up my experiences/progress in the not too distant future.

IMG_3830.thumb.JPG.a117f987e0af3f8b058c631fabdba182.JPG

This is when I bought my Westfield – it’s changed a lot since then!

IMG_4170.thumb.JPG.c9df182c08d451dd24957a972adc52ec.JPG

Still smiling (even when my heater leaks everywhere!)

One of the reasons I joined WSCC was the level of involvement of the members and the number of events and meets that were taking place. Living in West Somerset close to Devon it’s a shame that there is no local area organiser in place and whilst I am attending some events organised by nearby areas it's a bit of a stretch for general meets when they are all over an hour away.

So I thought I would step up and put myself forward for the roll of Devon and Somerset Area Organiser, so that members in these areas can have an increased chance to meet up with like-minded people and join in events, shows, track days, etc. Not that we need an excuse to use our cars, but sometimes it’s good to have a destination when out for a drive.

Devon and Somerset is quite a large area, so I’m considering holding meets and trying to get club space at events throughout the two Counties to give as many people as possible the chance to take part.

It would be good if you can contribute to the success of the area so can I ask that local members post or pm me suggestions for meet locations or events they are planning to attend throughout the year and the type of interest they have for using their cars (runs, car shows, track days, attending motor sport events etc.) I will post up ideas for the year so you can start adding to your calendars.

I can arrange meets/chats/runs/etc. for Monday’s, Saturdays or Sundays and would look to hold these at a variety of times to hopefully suit more people, so again do let me know what works best for you. Perhaps in some suitable cake selling locations...

I will typically have my partner with me (she is a joint member after all!) so feel free to bring along your other half/friend if you want to.

As a first meeting I am attending the Speed Series event at Castle Combe on 23 March, which is part of the WSCC speed series calendar, so it would be good to meet up with some of you there whilst supporting the speed series. @Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO has invited the Bristol and Bath Area so some of you may already be attending via that route. Let me know if you can make it/are already attending so I can keep an eye out for you. Castle Combe has advised it is free entry and parking and the restaurant should be open.

I’m also attending two track days so far this year – Castle Combe on 29 April and Llandow 18 May (organised by Complete Kit Car magazine) Let me know if you would like details of those.

As a lot of events take place in or near other areas I hope we can have some joint area excursions as well.

If you have any ideas for how to make your area work for you then please let me know. I’ll try to give as much advance notice of meets, but do bear with me!

If you can think of any other active members in the area that I haven’t sent this to then please let me know.

I hope to see some of you of on 23 March at Castle Combe. Nearer the time I will suggest a time/place to congregate so we don’t miss each other and can get a photo for the magazine! (I’ll have my Westfield cap on though of course)

Dave

@Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO

@Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO

@Martin Rice (Sparkymart) - Cornwall AO

@AdgeC

@markat

@Wobblyprop

@jonjh1964

@SXRORY

@David tucker

@merrill

@Mark Hillier

@Nic Surry

@GarethHD

@bilbo10uk

@pipparsons

@b16gnr

@John (Kernow)

@Nick Maunder

@EP Westfield Devon

@David Alexander - WSCC Treasurer

@Dennis ggill

@Davehagan

@Dave Court

@RandyMcStab

@Fanders88

@Pixie

@Ian Fraser

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Dave,

I'll be flying the WSCC flag at Castle Coombe on 23rd March and also on 29 April so we can chat in around the on-track activity.

One to look out for is Weston-Super-Mare car show on the Prom - we could definitely team up and probably get Dorset guys over too? Dates to follow.

Chris

• Like 1

I'm always up for a meet in North Somerset, or thereabouts.

• Like 1

Fantastic Dave, well done! As Chris said, Julie will provide the help, support and guidance to transition into the role. But really, enthusiasm and a desire to get out and about, and share the shear fun of Westfields is all you and your partner need to bring!

We all look forward to hearing of your exploits in the years to come! It’s always great to see areas re-develop and new area arise...

• Like 1

@HappyDave and I have been talking recently and I have suggested that he generates a bit of activity, puts an article in the magazine and then if both he and the committee are ok with the result he would form a new area and become an AO.

I am delighted to read this first post and ask that anyone local to Dave tries their very best to support him, even if you turn up in a tin top. I mean, he has mentioned cake, that's got to pull you in surely.

Well done Dave and good luck.

• Like 2

Hoping to be at Castle Combe on the 23rd of March. Any one else going from the Cheddar area. 

• Like 1

That's about the most exciting news I've heard in Devon in months , often wondered if there were any other Westies around here apart from David Alexander….. and just 2 weeks after I sold my V8 Westy……still, I'm in the club (so to speak) and now looking at another Westy project at some point….see you at Castle Combe on the 23rd, well done Dave, I look forward to meeting you there…..or seeing you at Stoneleigh. Best wishes Gareth

• Like 2

Thanks AO's @Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO @Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO and yes as Julie has said we've already been in discussion and I have my training wheels affixed and ready to go :d

Any words of advice or guidance always welcome.

7 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

Great news Happy Dave! 

Thanks - it will be great to get the area developed. You are of course always welcome to join in any meets if you're in the area.

6 hours ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

Nice one Dave,

I'll be flying the WSCC flag at Castle Coombe on 23rd March and also on 29 April so we can chat in around the on-track activity.

One to look out for is Weston-Super-Mare car show on the Prom - we could definitely team up and probably get Dorset guys over too? Dates to follow.

Chris

Looking forward to it and looks like we should have a good turn out of members to watch the action.

I will add the Weston-Super-Mare show to the growing list of events for this year. I think I'm going to have my work cut out writing all of these up!

Dave

6 hours ago, Wobblyprop said:

I'm always up for a meet in North Somerset, or thereabouts.

I shall endeavour to arrange something in the area. Drove back your way when I first got the car - cracking roads and several great looking pubs along the way

47 minutes ago, David tucker said:

Hoping to be at Castle Combe on the 23rd of March. Any one else going from the Cheddar area. 

Excellent, thanks David - will be good to meet you. Did you manage to get booked on the Combe track day on 29 April?

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO changed the title to Devon and Somerset AO- WANTED !