How many miles out of a xflow?

AlexSB

Hi all - I've another Westie viewing booked for next week.

It's another 1600 xflow, this time a 4 speed. The engine has been rebuilt a few years ago, and has had around 1,000 miles since. 

I've seen a few people complaining on other forums about the reliability of the xflow engine, with some rebuilding them every 10,000 miles or so.

If only used on the road (no track days)  and no crazy power increases, how many miles would you expect to get out of the standard xflow set-up?

Cheers!

You'll be bored to death by the time you hit another 10K miles ;)

I personally have not heard anything bad about them; on the contrary, they are supposed to be bomb proof...  Mine certainly was, but I would never go back, no matter how much 'charisma' it had :d

The Xflow is highly praised for its sound, earning its nickname 'mighty Xflow'.  And it has a penchant to leave a breadcrumb trail of oil everywhere... but they all do that Sir!

• Haha 1

I think they tend to leave a large puddle of charisma under them whenever they park up :D

• Haha 1

I've had my xflow powered se for 4 years at approx 2800 miles per year, and use it fairly hard - from what I can see it was built in '97 and the cars not had a huge amount of use since, but it must have been going for 20k miles minimum....

I had it rolling roaded at just a smidge under 140bhp so its not lost too much in all that time - it was a Roger King unit at around 150bhp when first built.

I think they are just like any other engine - it depends how well they were built in the first place, and how well they are maintained.

A tired std xflow will be well down on power, whereas a well built & specced engine, that has been looked after well, will go on for a good time and still surprise much more expensive and more powerful packages.

Charisma is normally referring to the noise IMHO....

Mart.

5 minutes ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

I think they tend to leave a large puddle of charisma under them whenever they park up :D

Sweating horse power I believe

• Haha 1

If you use Valvolene Racing 20W50 will be good for many years. If using cast pistons, not so many. But just use it until it cracks a piston and then build it better :t-up:

• Thanks 1

I've had my crossflow for over 5 years, and neither me or the previous owner have had the engine apart. As far as I know it's a standard 1600 GT spec. As others have said it leaks oil and uses a bit of water, I just keep it topped up. I would jump in the car and go anywhere in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. 

My first test for it would be getting it 400 miles up the road back to Glasgow. Then I can start worrying about how many more it'll do. 

But it's reassuring to hear that they will take some use, I'll just buy shares in Shell to offset the excess power it sweats out... 

36 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

If you use Valvolene Racing 20W50 will be good for many years. If using cast pistons, not so many. But just use it until it cracks a piston and then build it better :t-up:

Are the cast pistons standard? 

The guy had the engine rebuilt in 2012, so he should know what's in there. 

23 minutes ago, AlexSB said:

Are the cast pistons standard? 

The guy had the engine rebuilt in 2012, so he should know what's in there. 

Yes, they are . Usually Hepolites or Ford standards. 

If you go down the xflow route, you really want a decent specked engine and cast pistons are not a good start IMHO...

if it was rebuilt in 2012 with cast Pistons, then it's not been built with performance or longevity in mind, more of a budget....

Mart.

• Thanks 1

I had Arias pistons in my old crossflow and are still in there 20 years later , as a mate owns the car now. But worry not and just use it. They are easy engines to work on but can be a lot of work to make them sing good reliable power. Mine was 145 bhp with steel flywheel, roller rockers , guy who did porting for Janspeed did the head a flow work, but still happy with standard rods and crank, although steel main ends line bored in. Was a great engine , even if it cost me a lot was worth it. ( was told it was me or the car by the then missus. She became the ex about an hour later :laugh:) women are replaceable a decent crossflow is for life :t-up:

• Like 3