Paul T

Battery Mounting Options?

Paul T

Hi guys, I’m thinking of how to mount my battery (Halfords HB038), currently the plan is to make something lightweight and secure from sheet ally - but wondering if anyone has a neat, off-the-shelf solution?

Also longer term I’d like a smaller, more compact solution as 330A seem excessive for a 1.8 standard comp ST 1800 Zetec, anyone advise on a good value alternative?

cheers :yes:

1F45B10E-C935-47DB-8767-0D2591E67447.jpeg

stephenh

Where is your present battery mounted?

Favourite place on "modern" seven style Westfields seems to be low down at the front.

A popular option is to go for a gel type battery, they aren't particularly light, but they are compact and can be mounted flat, ie on their side. The red top 25 is a common choice, but they aren't cheap. They come complete with a light aluminium housing if you want, which can be secured to the existing flat aluminium "floor" where the old battery stood.

BugMan

Lots of options here: -

https://www.t7design.co.uk/products/other-products/battery-trays.html

If switching to a smaller (physically) gel type battery don't forget you will need a optimiser type battery maintainer/charger/conditioner the likes of CTEK

https://www.ctek.com/products?category=313f09f3-7f67-4d37-94c5-bb684196d572

Aware some people have put the battery at the end of the passenger footwell, but no experience of that myself.

Sport 250 has it's battery mounted low down behind the rad/intercooler FYIIMG_1979.thumb.JPG.b91fb39381eddce7dc308ebed0d6e770.JPGIMG_2016.thumb.JPG.0a72e4f2fb3b8fc81cf0ff71ed737495.JPG

Quite big, suspect you can get away with a more compact version

IMG_0942.thumb.JPG.7a2b98a85e737055822f661dbb3db29a.JPG

Hope this helps the thought process? :westy:

• Thanks 1

RussH

You don’t nesscessarily need a trickle charger for a smaller battery. 

Paul T

Thanks for the replies guys...

battery is (was) mounted on the near side ally panel over the passenger footwell. I’ve just re-panelled and hence looking at options.

I like the idea of putting it lower down, but don’t really want to push the CoG forwards if I can help it. I think a sealed battery in the passenger footwell might be a good solution for me...thanks for the input, I’ll have a think and post an update in my build thread :yes:

77F5A96B-AB66-4065-BE63-933E80930295.jpeg

E431B9AC-5FAD-4C49-A5C9-E9659EEA8261.jpeg

C2D5A3CE-E0BF-4954-A278-EEAC470EBD34.jpeg

BugMan
18 hours ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

You don’t nesscessarily need a trickle charger for a smaller battery. 

Errr trickle chargers and Gel type batteries does not work and will kill them, I know from experience on one of my MotoGuzzi 850's in the past.

RussH

I mean you don’t nesscessarily need a trickle charger at all.

I don’t have one and mine starts first time every time on a tiny 0.8kg lithium battery. 

BugMan
5 minutes ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

I mean you don’t nesscessarily need a trickle charger at all.

I don’t have one and mine starts first time every time on a tiny 0.8kg lithium battery. 

Totally agree on your point Meatpants, if it's never needed then your OK, but the I personally like the idea of it being in tip-top condition over the cold winter after losing batteries in my past as nothing lasts forever, however modern gel or sealed batteries have come a long way so as you say not absolutely necessary :westy: