So, I am keeping the diesel car.....................Issues ?

Thrustyjust

4 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

If we all went electric and charged our cars at 6pm, we would be eating cold dinners by candle light.

Ah--nostalgia for the early '70s, miners strikes, 3 day week and regular power cuts.

With so many unknowns at present and politicians largely useless and contradictory IMO best to keep the car you've got as likely to lose less money that way.

5 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

There was an article in a magazine last week that pointed out that the newest euro 6 diesels are cleanest of all at the moment as all the dangerous particulates are taken out by the DPF. 

A lot of this hysteria on fossil fuelled cars is because most of the worlds oil reserves are in countries which are not stable. Venezuela, Russia, middle East Africa so the urge to get everyone into electric is seen as a two fold good deal. One is it keeps despots in their place and secondly electric is overall cleaner, if you ignore others by products.

I would continue with diesel cars until we know what the policy is going to be longer term.  Your dilemma is why Jag are slipping amongst other manufacturers as no one knows what to produce or what customers will buy going forward.

We are years away from electric being a real alternative as it needs range, and charging infrastructure before that happens as in the UK we have no spare generating capacity and buy a lot of electric from France's Nuclear stations already.

I have thought for some time that the fuss about man-made climate change (as opposed to the natural phenomenon) was dreamed up to scare the masses into reducing use of oil. Why? Because, as you said Jeff, the sources are unstable and/or hostile regimes and stable western(ised) governments do not want to be beholden to these countries. Simply telling the people this would not result in any change in behaviour worth the name, but the new-age religion of anthropomorphic climate disaster has made a lot of people change their ways of life in the hoped-for direction. Unfortunately, as is usually the way with unintended consequences, the cost and other side effects are nearly as bad as the evil they're trying to avoid. A certain proportion of the populace have become truly evangelical and are becoming a right-royal pain in the A***. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DonPeffers said:

Ah--nostalgia for the early '70s, miners strikes, 3 day week and regular power cuts.

With so many unknowns at present and politicians largely useless and contradictory IMO best to keep the car you've got as likely to lose less money that way.

Don 'ALL' politicians are a waste of space in our system of government. They are just a 'patchit and scarper' mentality. As you say, keeping the car is the best option and thats my plan for now. I can't see diesel going away for anytime now and Volvo's decision to stop making diesels , I suspect with shoot them in the foot for vehicles for certain countries that aren't playing mind games with consumers.

Ironically the countries that like V8's are the ones with a black hole above them ( Australia) or USA who see nothing wrong with climate and this is just 'one of those things'  

We could easily be going backwards with going forwards and as said infrastructure and development of electric cars is a pittance. It will be interesting on how with Tesla, they have made a huge drop on the 3 model to how sales could increase now.  

My boss and my MD both have hybrids and they are clever, but both bought for tax reasons and managing 25 miles on a charge and then running petrol engines to maintain 28 mpg or so, in my eyes is not working on the future ( see Patchit and Scarper)  . I'd rather stick to 46 mpg in the Volvo with a glimmer of Nox and not having to think about how the feck they dismantle and reprocess batteries and electrics at end of life.

Just another consideration is most Euro 6 diesels have Ad-blue which dependant on engine size can be consumed fairly quickly. Re-filling the ad-blue tank can be tricky too. 

No idea if the Volvo has ad-blue but it wouldn’t surprise me if it did.

I have a low mileage diesel, owned for 6 years and will keep for a few more yet. Almost 600 miles per tank so suits me.

Andy

Andy, the latest are addblue. Ours isnt. Seeing the joke of people refilling their company cars at work , from clambering into engine bays, to pouring it in the carpets in the boot and it crystallising is a a half way house to the issue and a messy one at that. XC40 is by the filler cap when I looked and suspect the rest are. Just filled the XC up yesterday and said 680 miles to refuel, although the wife is driving to Penzance a week Monday , so we can flush the DPF out on a decent run and back.

12 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Is all this dieselgate stuff just a load of nonsense or is this going to amount to all diesel cars being worth poop on your shoe in the future ? We have a Volvo XC60 diesel and has come up to the decision on if we buy it or hand it back. The car was £40K new and will be worth £17.5 at 2 years and not many miles old ???. So, looking at petrol cars as the world seems to point us to, we are not throwing shed loads of money ( another £40k) at a new car to replace it. Although very nice the V60 T5 , it seems daft to do this. Yes, we dont need to spend £40k on a car, but thats up to me :d and not the argument.

So with Volvo saying they wont build diesel engines again in 3 years time and now frantically trying to sell of D3 engined V60's ( drove one yesterday as a demo to see if I liked the V60 car ) and it was dull and gutless, the options are petrol or petrol hybrid. If a petrol version is £40k , dont even think about the cost of the part battery versions. 

1/ Are we going to have future governments saying that we cant process all these high tech hybrid cars and leave them dumped on a runway near us ?

2/ Are we going to have more potential for vehicle fires ? ( See all the Tesla stories currently)

3/ Are vehicle weights going to mean we need hgv licenses to drive them ?

4/ Are diesels 'really' going to disappear ?

5/ Do the tree huggers think that diesel vehicles being taken off the road is not going to affect them, even if everything is transported by diesel, whether ships or lorries ?

6/ Is diesel cost at the pumps going to be the way people are forced to stop using their cars ?

7/ Am I looking too deeply into this and should just go for a drive in my Westie instead ?

We decided we are going to buy the XC60 when its time comes as its value ' currently' is worth far more than the current value owed, with the money we put in it and dont want to give it away for a song and is a good car. Ironically the only version that was available as a petrol was the T6 with 300 bhp and another £15k to buy it , but no one bought those and are a rare beast.

And what about the people that have spent £150k on diesel motorhomes , 

Something to consider is if you are anywhere near an ULEZ or need to travel through one, Birmingham is introducing one and it will affect us, I bought a 63 Tiguan just over a year ago which is not compliant. :(

15 minutes ago, Jonsey said:

And what about the people that have spent £150k on diesel motorhomes , 

Government not interested. You spend £150k on a motorhome, they think its your problem. So many niche markets that utilise diesel, whether for leisure or for business , such as farming , transport such as lorries and buses etc. They have electrified the railway line from Reading to Newbury now. And dont get me wrong its awesome. We dont hear the diesel trains coming out the station now with revving diesels, which used to wake me at my work desk. But ...............from Newbury onwards, the trains convert to diesel again as onwards , westward, its not been done yet and there is no current timescale for it. Also, I still have the life shaken out of me when the big diesel freight trains come through , which to create enough amperage to get that moving if it was electric , would stop most of the other trains on the line with power shortages.

• Like 1

Just now, Rusty Nuts said:

Something to consider is if you are anywhere near an ULEZ or need to travel through one, Birmingham is introducing one and it will affect us, I bought a 63 Tiguan just over a year ago which is not compliant. :(

Wouldnt ever want to drive in London. The amount of traps of driving prosecutions from box sections, mental cyclists, bus and taxi drivers, we use the car to Uxbridge and then tube in. We have London engineers and they are unique in managing driving there that other engineers avoid the place whenever possible. Can't believe I used to spend many working days as a service engineer in that god awful place.

I bought a new X3 30D MSport 2 years ago and am keeping it. Diesel will only come to a halt if and when the car manufacturers are ready for it to. They have a very big lobby. And I don't see that happening anytime soon

On 03/03/2019 at 21:40, Stuart said:

They have a very big lobby. And I don't see that happening anytime soon

Big lobby's can be persuaded with "incentives". It's a two way street (sorry...) :oops:

Plenty of car companies are talking Brexit down. BMW and Toyota are in the news today. Honda have made noises and I'm sure there are others that I can't remember. I can't help but think they are looking for "incentives" in what is as much a political position as a financial one. And I'm setting aside my annoyance at private companies flying in the face of democratic decision making. They may not like the decision but they should not be making statements telling the (admittedly small) majority were wrong. There is no right or wrong in the decision itself, it's what we wanted. What will be right or wrong is HOW these companies and the government deal with it. Do they simply try to blame Brexit when things go bad or do they step up and get behind it. Given Honda, BMW and Toyota's stance, I'll not be buying their products for the forseeable. But I digress...

London's ULEZ is why I'll be ditching my 55 plate diesel Focus. I'll be replacing it with whatever diesel Focus is compliant. I also have to get an exemption certificate for my motorbike which was compliant until TfL changed the ULEZ rules a little while ago.

Yes Thrusty, I drive and ride in London all the time. It's a hoot :oops: :d And I'll thank you not to call my home town a god awful place. God doesn't exist :p 

9 hours ago, Blatman said:

God doesn't exist :p 

Wrath-of-God-MtG-Art.jpg

:p

DERV’s———a waste of time, unless it’s a Taxi.

I have 3 friends who have bought derv SUVs recently, because they were cheaper than the petrol versions.  One has an 2017 XC60 and does 29 mpg the others have a  Qaushki and Mazda CX  and manage about 31 mpg each.

Reason-  they only drive them around our local area a couple of miles at a time, which is no good for DPF equipped cars. I did warn them that it would be false economy for short journeys but they were all convinced by salesman they would see over 45 mpg.  The Quashki and Mazda friends ar already trying to sell their cars with intention of buying petrol versions soon.  My Volvo friend doesn’t understand the OBD average figures and says it’s all rubbish and convinced he’s will get Over 40 mpg soon.

As for politicians, they are none the wiser, they don’t understand and fail recognise the whole life CO2 cost of a car, electric or other internal combustion vehicles. I don’t know what the answer is to be honest apart from increasing CO2 levels will kill our planet eventually.  Lucky I won’t be around then.

11 minutes ago, SootySport said:

Increasing CO2 levels will kill our planet eventually.  Lucky I won’t be around then.

Oooh, don't worry for the planet. Full of rock, that thing. It won't break a sweat and has come through many an atmospheric condition.

Humans, on the other hand...