franco2141

Westfield Handmade Hood (Narrow Body)

franco2141

My winter challenge this year has been to attempt building a half hood for my Narrow body Westfield. Trying to purchase a hood has been extremely difficult so I thought I'd try my hand at making one.

Attached is a overview of my build story! Whilst my limited sewing skills has led to some rough edges I am pretty impressed with the fit and look.

Let me know what you think.

inCollage_20190302_202549474.jpg

• Like 1

nice_guy

Considered doing the same (way further down the road, and with leatherette) for the same reason (narrow bodied, nothing available, so do it yourself)

Looks great !

One piece design ? What material ? Did the sewing machine make funny noises ? Does it keep the people in the car reasonably dry ? Anny plans or patterns to share ?

franco2141

@nice_guy i think the only other option for a narrow body is a custom designed and made hood by a professional shop is going to cost a mint.

It is a one piece design (no joins and bad stitching to allow water through) but by doing it like this it takes some skill with the sewing machine.

I used 23oz heavy duty waterproof 600D fabric for this one as it was cheap. I got it from eBay and it was £12.99 for a 200 X 150mm sheet. 

The sewing machine was my daughter's and it didn't make any serious noises but I did break 2 needles when sewing the thicker fabric. You can get ticker needles and thread but the standard 90 needle was fine for most of it.

Dryness, is not too bad as I have made the design sit over the doors (when they are fitted), I have yet to try it minus the doors but as you would expect water coming any other way that straight down is going to get you wet.

I have a dust sheet pattern that I need to convert into something more understandable, so hopefully get something available to other soon.