Dean Goodall

Mechanical noise (100 miles since newly built)

Dean Goodall

Took the car out a few days ago after fitting the hood and heard a metal knocking noise. Been out since (without hood) and not heard anything until today (hood on) and could hear a mechanical noise coming from the rear again. It got faster/slower with the car speed/wheel rotation. Jacked it up, took some spanners and allen keys underneath to ensure all was tight, diff, drive shafts, prop shaft. Wheel bearings feel good, all wheel nuts tight, brake calipers solid too. Cant see or feel anything that would make a metal like, almost clanking sound. 

Anyone had the same?

Greenstreak-Andy D

Just check handbrake cables are clear of prop shaft too. 

Always worth a suspension spanner check after 100 miles, including shocks and all metalastic suspension joints. 

Andy

Jon Wilkinson

So no noise with hood off, but with hood on u have, is it the straps that go round the rollbar? Or try a passenger to see if they can pinpoint the noise 

Thrustyjust

Could be all manner of things. From shock springs, to suspension movements, to shocks, to diff mounts , to roll bars and bodies etc. Sadly its a case of trying different things with pry bars and jacks and see if you can replicate when stationary in the garage .

One thing I did find that clanked was the pads moving in the calipers though, so is it when you just touch the brakes ?

Rich201060

Probably not but could be the harness eyebolts they clatter, and you would probably hear them more with the hood on?

BugMan

Don't forget the diff is bolted to the chassis, and was thinking the same thing, but after talking to my local group it was pointed out to me that it was probably just related to the diff noises being sent through the chassis.  Does it increase with speed at all Dean? 

I immediately dived under the car looking for anything rattling and could not find anything myself :westy:

Dean Goodall
27 minutes ago, BugMan said:

Does it increase with speed at all Dean? 

I immediately dived under the car looking for anything rattling and could not find anything myself :westy:

Yeah, seems the ‘clank’ is in time with each rev of the wheels, either with power on or during engine overun and when coasting out of gear.

Going to remove the boot lid and boot box and set up a gopro in the rear somewhere to see if that will help to identify the noise. 

BTW, whatever is causing the noise isnt enough for me to feel any vibration from it. 

Thrustyjust

Check the rear pads arent hitting the disc centres. Mine did and needed grinding a bit.

1380075695_334Grindingpads.thumb.jpg.0e4c5f94584ceb004ba95e00e7822b8f.jpg

• Like 1

Davemk1

Do you have a Ford differential? If so check the two bolts that bolt the diff to the strap at the very rear of the diff. It's a short strap that joins the chassis to the rear cover of the diff. If those two bolts are loose it will make a noise like you describe.

dave

Dean Goodall
46 minutes ago, Davemk1 said:

Do you have a Ford differential? If so check the two bolts that bolt the diff to the strap at the very rear of the diff. It's a short strap that joins the chassis to the rear cover of the diff. If those two bolts are loose it will make a noise like you describe.

dave

Err, diff supplied with kit, think its mazda.

D6B5B7D3-C6F5-4B3E-8F61-6F07D95920B5.thumb.jpeg.bdbfd51ccc55cfa029fd31a64c9c5a60.jpeg

CC55DC0A-FEAF-421F-A293-57AE636CD08B.thumb.jpeg.fec239d155a22935c9a24ccf95d9083b.jpeg

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Yep, that’s the Mazda diff.

• Thanks 1

BugMan

Dean, you could try jacking up the backend of the car, and then (with the front suitably chocked) run the engine in low gears to see if the noise is related to rotating parts or suspension?

Just an idea you could try :westy:

Dean Goodall
7 minutes ago, BugMan said:

Dean, you could try jacking up the backend of the car, and then (with the front suitably chocked) run the engine in low gears to see if the noise is related to rotating parts or suspension?

Just an idea you could try :westy:

Yep, done EXACTLY that MrBug, had the wheels spinning, couldnt hear or see anything loud enough that was similar to what I heard on the road.  Leads  me to think about what ‘weight on’ forces could influence such sounds.

Dean Goodall

Further investigation tomorrow. 

Meatibald Archpants
9 hours ago, Dean Goodall said:

Err, diff supplied with kit, think its mazda.

D6B5B7D3-C6F5-4B3E-8F61-6F07D95920B5.thumb.jpeg.bdbfd51ccc55cfa029fd31a64c9c5a60.jpeg

CC55DC0A-FEAF-421F-A293-57AE636CD08B.thumb.jpeg.fec239d155a22935c9a24ccf95d9083b.jpeg

Is it that your diffs got no oil in it? ;)

• Haha 4