nice_guy

3d printing... Is this any useful ?

nice_guy

Well, bitten the bullet and started using cura. Still don't like the hardware requirements (64 bits and lots of ram) but found out it has a nice octoprint plugin, that allows to launch the thing and monitor it from cura on the big mean desktop computer.

Seems to be a tad better than the slic3r embedded curaengine on part surface aspect -maybe because of the default low speed, I'll test on part strength...

I'm still trying to have cura running on an old laptop, because I still prefer to have control and emergency button just next to the printer, octoprint is very vanilla and not running a webcam yet (also integrated within cura), but first print is currently running.

And I also started using fusion, still don't like it, but generating threaded thingies is really easy, and they can be imported in my good' ol' 132d design.

nice_guy

Funny, how life gets in the way...

I'm using cura right now, still don't like it as a printer control software, but it couples nicely with octoprint. I like adaptative layer slicing, supports are not noticeably different for when I'm cornered into using them (i.e a mess).

Got into fusion, but I merely make a threaded bit and import it into offline cad.

And even though for small threads I still prefer tap, I ran into issues with awfully non standard (though metric) somehow large threads. And being able to design the threads themselves was key.

Guess what this is for ?

image.png.2c87764e4afa8268fb56ae42a05bc588.png

(Hint : it might be a tad overengineered to save a few banknotes)

Wait....

Wait.....

image.png

image.png

Yup, it's an adapter to fit a cheap gear knob worth a tenner, that came with a tube (m22x1) and plastic adapters for the gear stick, and fit on the m10 x 1 threaded gear lever. I added a m3 pinching bolt to secure the adapter at the right angle on the gearstick, the knob  is located by bottoming. And the two flat parts are needed so that I can wrench the thing on the very, very sad threads on the gear lever itself.

Hard to measure, went to 17 iterations to get tolerances right. Last ones printed standing on the small lip, slow and steady.

But hey, got a shiny knob engraved with the correct gear pattern for not much.

• Like 2

Peter (Monty)

Well you lot have been busy while I've been away! Great to see the club has caught the maker bug, the parts you guys are producing are fantastic.

I did my final university project on SLS 3D printing. SLS has a few big advantages over FDM, in particular you don't have to worry about overhangs or supports at all. But only industrial machines exist at the moment. I had been planning to have some dashboard parts printed via Shapeways or similar. But now you lot have got me thinking about what I could do with an FDM machine at home 😆 

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO really great work on the AIM dash surround. One suggestion, if the mounting is still proving troublesome, there are ways you can do it without any threads. E.g. you could have holes in the front and rear parts which line up when you slide them together, then you bolt through them. Then you could put some foam on the mounting face to stop rattling without needing a perfect fit through the thickness of the dashboard.

One other thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet (apologies if they have and I've missed it), you can get threaded metal inserts to add to printed parts. You can press them in with a soldering iron. I'd strongly recommend this over using printed threads with metal screws, which can be prone to cracking.

multi_reg_u.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

Needed a clutch alignment tool - so...

image.jpg

• Like 5