nice_guy

3d printing... Is this any useful ?

nice_guy
1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

@nice_guy Since getting my printer I have been doing lots of prints. It just occurred to me though that being new to 3d printing what maintenance do I need to do to keep it working smoothly?

Very little. These machines transfer little force, hence very little wear. Very.

Do the nozzles get worn out? If so, how long do they last?

Close to forever with regular plastic, they wear whil printing pixie dust loaded filaments, such as bronzefill or copperfill or carbon fiber filament (expensive and not really better than PLA, btw).

I never wore one. Back in the day of crappy filament I changed them for cyclic cleaning when they were clogged by debris, not the case anymore. On my legacy printer the hot end and nozzle are close to two years old, probably through around a dozen kilos of filament. Did not encounter artefacts that led me to believe that nozzle hole was worn.

I'm happy with checking the rollers/belts etc but wondered what else?

I have little feedback on rollers, they may wear over time if overtightened, belts last close to forever too when they're good quality. Changed belts once on the legacy printer for non-elastic belts. My legacy printer has linear roller bearings, I changed X axis ones because they were noisy since day one, and I changed for longer ones, but they showed no play.

These machines do not wear besides the PSU and the fans (capacitors fail and fans too)

Oh and another thing, the Ender 3d heating bed top plate has a very fine rough surface (which obviously helps with adhesion), but if I were to change to a Polycarbonate top plate instead would the smoother surface yield smoother finish parts where the main face is printed downwards?

Absolutely correct. One of the main reasons I started using polycarbonate. Mirror finish if you have height set right (you'd still be able to see the bead seams). The gauge face was printed so :

image.png.33ab7cd6e3f9071c46643bff48a0ea26.png

It could have been better but it's only .3 or .4mm thick around the oled screen. (the pic shows test/in progress assembled thing)

If you scratch ithe polycarbonate using the provided putty knife it'll transfer the scratch on printed parts, obviously. The use a razor blade window scraper helps a LOT (bending the sheet for freeing the part, the razor blde swipe is for removing the two lines I tend to print around the part to "prime" the extruder.

Polycarbonate can also be sanded (the one I'm using rigt now got scratched with the blade provided with the ender in a clumsy 'I won't bother unclip it and bend the printed part free') and it still provides a very smooth finish. And you can flip it to the other side. Or buy a large sheet and cut as many beds as you would dream of. Adhesion is, honestly, always good with polycarbonate. (I love the stuff).

Edit : Ah, @Kit Car Electronics passed me on the brakes...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nice_guy
5 hours ago, TableLeg said:

Currently printing....only 6 hours to go....:laugh:

PLEASE do post a pic of the printed part. Impressive design. Wow.

I really like the wiring tabs, they have a large base. 

I went with thinner and thinner walls in my designs - they are usually not intended to be as sturdy as your steering wheel addition - ending up with multiples of nozzle diameter : 0.8 is my typicall wall thickness for electronic enclosures. Saves on filament, but also prints faster.

The next thing I'll print with 2.5 to 3mm walls will be the hopefully successful catch can design (I have a lot of ABS left, and warm oil+engine bay temperature call for ABS)

But this is a long way from now, I need to find the place for it in order to shape it- maybe in the outer chassis treillis depending on the washer tank location. For this I'll probably slice with cura, I'll need funky supports for all the tubing... and it will be printed on the legacy pmachine, the ender 2 may be a tad too small and not enclosed, and for long, big prints using ABS, an enclosure around the printer helps a lot.

I'll try to be over ambitious and be all plastic bar the screws. Fittings, body and even """filtering""" mesh built in. (and it'll be a failure and I'll buy a cheap ebay catch can)

• Like 1

TableLeg

nice_guy
4 hours ago, TableLeg said:

@nice_guy Since getting my printer I have been doing lots of prints. It just occurred to me though that being new to 3d printing what maintenance do I need to do to keep it working smoothly?

If one thing is to do, is keep it vaguely clean. Little bits of filament tend to fluff around the printer (very noticeable in the white enclosure) and may end on the printed part. The roller bearings are dry so no lubrication is required, maybe the faintest hint of an oil droplet on the lead screw if it squeals, and if you ever encounter a jam of filament make sure the extruder hobbed gear is clean, but that's not a maintenance plan. Basically I wipe the printing surface clean with a bit of isopropyl alcohol every now and then -I don't touch the top surface of the plate with my fingers- and  30 seconds of vacuum cleaning twice a year and that's all. T'just works.

Nozzles are close to peanuts, roller bearings have been reported inexpensive, and if you ever change belt it's around a tenner for a suitable length of kevlar belt.

(regarding nozzles, I did try different sizes, the smaller (.3 or .2) need a hot filament temperature and a slow speed, and are more targeted to the action figures printers, the bigger ones may have their use, makes big beefy prints faster, but honestly .4 is a very good diameter and has been widely accepted as the default standard.

I once changed the filament tubing for a better quality one - the stock one had kept a loop in its shape.

Come to think of it, It might be, beside filament, polycarbonate plates come second, I run through a pair of A4 sheets each year. And the odd fan every now and then, but there is no preventive maintenance, you just have to hear them moooooooo when their time has come. (I bought a bag of 40-50mm fans online for peanuts too).

And all this on my acrylic framed legacy printer, witch is a way lower build quality than what the ender is, and that had been printing for loooong nights and emptied many a spool.

TableLeg

Finished last night.

9hrs 20minutes.

20190406_071555.thumb.jpg.220b0ce89c09d581adc4244d33d56658.jpg20190406_071517.thumb.jpg.5aa62ba1b0920e0baaf0fd0917e99c4f.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=b5cbfa078d886632

20190406_071454.thumb.jpg.fc783af93945b7d8b59c709c341bb1c0.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

neptune

Wow that looks superb 

• Thanks 1

Adge Cutler Dorset AO

Impressive stuff.

• Thanks 1

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

So I was in the garage prepping the car for “road mode” and one of the tasks was to refit the Chinese copy longacre mirror back on (it folds back at speeds over 90 and annoys me on track). 

I then remembered that the cheap copy was for a 44mm bar not the 38mm used on my cage. 

Could do with some custom made sleeves thinks I ...

So 15 mins in fusion, 5 in Cura and a 35min fast print underway!

image.jpg

• Like 4

That’ll do nicely! Dead simple but so useful!

6F7E2A39-1123-49AD-B039-A06ED189CBD4.jpeg

• Like 1

TableLeg
8 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

That’ll do nicely! Dead simple but so useful!

6F7E2A39-1123-49AD-B039-A06ED189CBD4.jpeg

Excellent Chris! :yes:

nice_guy

@TableLeg Impressive.

Will you doublesidedtape the back of the freewheel housing to the steering wheel branch ?

TableLeg
13 minutes ago, nice_guy said:

@TableLeg Impressive.

Will you doublesidedtape the back of the freewheel housing to the steering wheel branch ?

Yes exactly that:yes:

A little bit of Vinyl wrap to tidy it up a bit.

Not great wrapping but hey ho.:blush:20190406_201042.thumb.jpg.d09cda0308372bcf62c0f462a620b794.jpg

I'll add labels later....

• Like 4

Looks fantastic Jared, you should be very proud!

• Thanks 1

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

3D printed big-end shells eh? :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

3D printed big-end shells eh? :rolleyes:

Yes I thought that when they were finished too :d