Foot pump recommendation

Quinten

With 4 cars in the family to look after and I seem to be buying a foot pump each year as the quality of them is shocking.  Used to buy from Halfords, but my last pump (Michelin double barrel) lasted not even 6 months before a barrel blew up.  Shame, cos the previous Halfords pump (can't remember what brand) lasted years before the frame ultimately gave way.

So I'm looking for a proper decent solid foot pump...  anyone has a recommendation?

I did consider a bike pump, but the gauges are geared towards the higher PSI that bike tyres use, so it's not so good for determining the car tyre pressures with...

May cost more in the first place, but the air compressor I have is used for lots of stuff and makes pumping tyres a lot easier. I bought mine off ebay second hand for £40 and that was 12 years ago . Annual oil change annually and off it goes. Foot pumps are rubbish things.

I'm with Thrusty on this one Compressor and an air gun. Superb. Then as in ratchets, rattle guns,blow guns and the like and pretty soon you'll wonder how you ever managed without air-tools :oops: 

14 minutes ago, Blatman said:

I'm with Thrusty on this one Compressor and an air gun. Superb. Then as in ratchets, rattle guns,blow guns and the like and pretty soon you'll wonder how you ever managed without air-tools :oops: 

Christ alive....................... Blatters agrees with me !!! :o

I've got a 12V pump and I find it cumbersome to operate, what with a cable length that can only reach one side of the car (just).  And inflating the Westfields tyres is impossible without having another car near...

And as much as I would love an air compressor with the associate tools that can be used with it, it's pretty useless if I need to bring each car around to a socket near the garage (most cars are parked on the road, quite a distance away from the garage) just to inflate the tyres.

Guess I must be the only one who prefers an analogue tool ;)

9 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert said:

it's pretty useless if I need to bring each car around to a socket near the garage (most cars are parked on the road, quite a distance away from the garage) just to inflate the tyres.

My air hose is about 50 meters long. Compressor stays in the garage and I can reach cars in the street just fine!!!

32 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Christ alive....................... Blatters agrees with me !!! :o

Nothing to see here. Move along :oops: 

Buy a classic kismet pump. Full spares availability but built to outlast us anywY. @windy may have a few restored ones he could be tempted to part with 

David 

Yes, I've seen the Kismet (there's this huge thread on PH about restoring these old pumps).  That's the sort of build quality I'm looking for, although I will draw the line at £50 for a pump ;)

16 hours ago, Quinten said:

Yes, I've seen the Kismet (there's this huge thread on PH about restoring these old pumps).  That's the sort of build quality I'm looking for, although I will draw the line at £50 for a pump ;)

I inherited a Kismet pump from my dad, has to be about 40 years old now. It recently has worn out the seals and I stupidly thrown it away.

I have one of these.

Air Hawk Pro https://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Hawk-Pro-Tyre-Inflator/dp/B0742JYQGS Sure it was cheaper than this though :suspect: 

Had it 12 months and its been great so far.

better than I expected, good battery life and really easy to use.

Have a compressor in the garage too but hardly gets used now for tyres, this is just so handy. Great when at the track. 

I too got fed up with modern pumps. They are so fplimsy that they're a waste of time and money.

I bought an old Dunlop "Major" from an antique shop. Bit of cooking oil to soften the leather seal on the piston and it works a treat.  Won't break that in a hurry! Was only about 20 quid and I probably saved the poor thing from being turned into a table lamp by some hipster.:yes:

A compressor works OK at home but I often need a pump when out and about as I tend to end up towing things that have been left in a field neglected.

Some of the OEM supplied electric pumps from cars without spare wheels are a lot better than those available at motor factors. I have one, again from an antique shop. Not sure what car it came from, but looks Japanese in manufacture. Nice chunky low revving  motor and pump abput the size of a wiper motor.

A mate of mine has a Porsche one that is a work of art.:love:

Might be worth asking at a breakers yard?

On 28/02/2019 at 00:41, IanD said:

I have one of these.

Air Hawk Pro https://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Hawk-Pro-Tyre-Inflator/dp/B0742JYQGS Sure it was cheaper than this though :suspect: 

Had it 12 months and its been great so far.

better than I expected, good battery life and really easy to use.

Have a compressor in the garage too but hardly gets used now for tyres, this is just so handy. Great when at the track. 

I've got something very similar and it's much better than the bike pump and foot pumps I've previously had. I can get on with doing something else instead of getting a sweat on when pumping up the tyres :d