To paint or not to paint?

si_salisbury

Hi everyone,

after having a bit of a tidy up in the garage this afternoon I started to think about painting the wall and the floor, for three reasons.

1) to make the man cave look nice.

2) to reduce the dust that build up on the Westfield, I have found after washing it I get it out a week later and it’s covered in dust from were the wind blows under the door blowing the concrete dust everywhere.

3) gets me away from the crap that the other half watches on TV.

The issue is when I was talking to her in doors about my idea her response was “why it’s a waist of time and it just a garage” Which upset me. :cry:

So just wanted to know how many have or haven’t painted there man/woman cave.

I'm thinking of painting the walls, floor is tiled having been painted previously - tiles were the best thing I've ever done - working on the cars is now very comfortable winter and summer.

Just now, jonjh1964 said:

I'm thinking of painting the walls, floor is tiled having been painted previously - tiles were the best thing I've ever done - working on the cars is now very comfortable winter and summer.

I was thinking of getting workshop floor paint (borrowed from work) when Im lying on the floor I get covered in dust.

if it's free go for it, mines painted but where the tyres sit it got pulled up - cushion tiles have been excellent, the car does settle into them but it's so nice kneeling and laying on.....

I put a ceiling in my man cave and painted white along with the walls . I have just done the floor and insulated the doors with reflective sheet . Gives a real good decent light to work in and the tiles are plastic and comfortable to kneel on too. Its a proper man cave which I spend quite a bit of project time in there, so also fitted LED lighting for decent light and cheaper than fluorescent tubes. Dust is a lot less and I run a dehumidifier to stop things rusting and getting damp. It does switch on and off when needed , but is negligible running costs to the damage the damp can do.

White ceiling really does make a difference. When I re furbished my garage I had the concrete floor polished and chemically sealed. A rubber seal on the base of the door stops any dust.

As its under the house its always dry and warm.:yes:

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0398.jpg

16 minutes ago, kenton said:

White ceiling really does make a difference. When I re furbished my garage I had the concrete floor polished and chemically sealed. A rubber seal on the base of the door stops any dust.

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0398.jpg

Now that’s a man cave:yes:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kenton said:

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0398.jpg

More photos of that man cave definitely needed .is it all finished now ?

My walls, floor and smooth ceiling all painted and no dust so never cover the car. Doesn't Take long with a large roller and brush, although if it's never been painted before you'll need 2 coats at least. 

I did think of fitting coving but later thought that was going too far.