Bristol and Bath Meet Thurs 7 March

Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO

Do we know if there are any Speed Series Competitors from Bristol & Bath?

8 minutes ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

I could do with so top tips for Track Day Prep?

Triple bravery pills?  ;-)

• Haha 1

On 05/03/2019 at 07:49, RobP said:

Yep, I'm also booked for the trackday at Combe on the 29th! :laugh:

Hopefully weather will be as good as last year.

Of March? The one Im on too direct with Castle Combe? Good oh! See ya there.

15 hours ago, CrisisWolf said:

Of March? The one Im on too direct with Castle Combe? Good oh! See ya there.

I think we are all on the PJ's track day one in april

16 hours ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

I could do with so top tips for Track Day Prep?

Chris, my approach to track days:

Give the car a good check over - fluids, pads, tyres etc before you go - if you’ve got standard pads and do long fast runs you could do a year+ of normal wear in a day. Check the organisers rules usually full face helmet, long sleeved shirt & trousers take your Driving Licence etc, think about getting some instruction.

Make yourself a tool kit and some spares - if you’re going as a group agree who’s taking what - not unusual to see people changing wheels, pads, discs, repacking exhausts etc on the day and the paddocks are mostly friendly so if you need a tool or spare ask.

Take a seat and umbrella - ideally if in a group a gazebo between you.

Fit up with fuel just before you get to the track and have 20-40litres in fuel cans or be prepared to drive off at lunchtime to refuel - expect mpg to be <3rd of what you get normally.

Build up on runs - I aim for a warm up lap (or 2) followed by ~8 hot laps and then a cool down lap (or 2) and then stop for 20 mins to check the car over and let things cool down (including me). Monitor temps and pressures throughout better to stop and let the car recover then be towed off.

If you don’t have a trailer remember you have to drive home at the end especially later in the day when everyone and their cars are starting to get tired.

Above all enjoy yourself...

Jon

Hi can someone send me a link for the track day at Castle Combe on the 29th April please. I can’t find it on there website. Many thanks. 

1 hour ago, SXRORY said:

I think we are all on the PJ's track day one in april

Usually go but Im away for it this year so going a month earlier.

second what Jon says. I take a jerry can with me for top ups and typically have to go fill up at lunchtime.

Day before i check fluids, wheel nuts, tyre pressures just to be sure all is well.

on the day i have a few things with me, sockets, screw driver and fluids incase they drop. On fluids ive been fine for years but as Ive changed all of mine in winter the track will no doubt test for leaks.

i find the first few laps its the brakes that need to warm up. Tyres a bit too. Unlike larger cars the later laps are better whereas they begin to suffer brake fade.

last year i killed a set of standard brake pads on the rears in about 9 months, 3 track days. Now the rears have mintex too.

remember Merlin is on site should you need something urgent/odd/forgot something and need it on the day.

Brilliant, thanks @jonjh1964 and @CrisisWolf, some really good points and tips which I'll take on board.

I'm currently ducting in the nose cone to radiator and then have full service planned (inc upgrade to MIntex 1144 pads) for early April and then run-in so to speak. Corner weight and Suspension setup and RR mapping 2nd week of April, run in and DEFINITELY taking it easy as a first for me.

I want to enjoy and be able to drive home!

Then of course will come the post-track job list...

REgards

Chris

2 hours ago, David tucker said:

Hi can someone send me a link for the track day at Castle Combe on the 29th April please. I can’t find it on there website. Many thanks. 

It won't be on their website.  It's a private booking.  I booked it via KitNet

5 hours ago, David tucker said:

Instagram or Facebook and you can make contact then PayPal the monies over

Late apologies one and all but delayed getting away from work and just on way back from Reading!

Hope you spotted each other and see you on the 23rd at WSCC Speed Series @ Castle Coombe - I'll be the one in WSCC Top and BRG WESTY  with WSCC Flag sticking out the top!

Chris

On 07/03/2019 at 07:51, David tucker said:

I have Colin's phone number and email if you still haven't been able to book this - let me know and I'll pm you the details. Looks like there could be a good number of Westfields :)

22 hours ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

Brilliant, thanks @jonjh1964 and @CrisisWolf, some really good points and tips which I'll take on board.

I'm currently ducting in the nose cone to radiator and then have full service planned (inc upgrade to MIntex 1144 pads) for early April and then run-in so to speak. Corner weight and Suspension setup and RR mapping 2nd week of April, run in and DEFINITELY taking it easy as a first for me.

I want to enjoy and be able to drive home!

Then of course will come the post-track job list...

REgards

Chris

Hi Chris

Where are you having your mapping and suspension setup carried out?

Dave

37 minutes ago, HappyDave said:

Hi Chris

Where are you having your mapping and suspension setup carried out?

Dave

Dave,

Suspension being done at Track Developments just outside Castle Coombe, Dave there is a bit of a 'Seven' expert...

As for Mapping, I'm provisionally booked into DMS Performance over the bridge in wales and JPR Tuning in Yate (New boys v old school) not sure yet?

But, as always, open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks Chris

No suggestions - I'm looking to do mine as well!

Only comment I could give is that I've always found garages that work on race cars etc. have a greater breadth of knowledge.

I asked OMEX if they have approved tuners (not sure if you have OMEX) Whilst they said no they don't they did give me a list of tuners in the southwest that they know use their systems (not quite sure what that means!) The two near you are: Interpro, Thornbury, Bristol and MEK Motorsport, Cheltenham. Unfortunately I have no idea of their capability - perhaps another member will have knowledge of some of these?