Headline---Honda workers 'betrayed' by Swindon plant closure

DonPeffers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-47289315

"The firm confirmed it will shut the car plant in 2021, with the loss of about 3,500 jobs."

I'm not sure betrayed is the correct word; at least the staff are getting 2 years advance warning and will be paid for the work they do ,unlike some other recent company failures where the closure was unforeseen, immediate and outstanding wages left unpaid by the employer.

For many years there has been a large over-capacity in car production, in many countries, and with the move to electric cars something had to give.

Two years is a long time in politics and there might yet be moves to retain Honda jobs in a new factory--time will tell.

If not,  good luck to all those affected.

I think the workers feel betrayed because up until now, they've had no noises that the factory would close and have always heard positive news around that. The, probably larger factor, is that everyone else knew before they did. They weren't officially told until 8am this morning, and it's been in the news since yesterday afternoon.

Now the Eu have dropped the duties on Japanese made cars there’s no need to make them in Europe. The Eu pushed this deal though very recently ... I wonder why!!!! guess what!  It only hurts their friend and Neighbours as there are no Japanese car plants on mainland Europe..  maybe the Eu protected their own car industries.     And I think car manufactures are being forced / jumping towards electrification too quick.    It’s still impractical for most of us to have one as a every day car, second car novelty only at the mo.. .. the technology is not there yet... possibly ever..    Range to short, lack of charge points, can’t  tow a trailer,  etc etc...    end of life issues.  I can’t see it being scale able into commercial vehicles. Environmental issues of making the batteries....    I feel a rant building..... the new evil Palm-oil and deforestation to grow it..  51% of European consumption does into biofuel the green fuel!   

3 hours ago, DamperMan said:

..    I feel a rant building..... 

And why not!

This is the place to get it off your chest.

The news of closure shouldn't have leaked out before staff were told.

Honda plant has been against the wall since the black Friday, they never recovered well, not managing more than a single shift for production.

Nissan has a plant in Barcelona, but of course a well aligned with Renault as the major shareholder