Mx-5 Track car Build AKA The Prawn

BenD

Not yet :d But at 1/8" thick walls, I'm fairly certain it'll be up to the job...

As Russ says, we got a GCF one off Ebay for about £225 I think. We tried to wait for a bargain but they just weren't coming up.  I'm slightly concerned about its height though, it's designed to fit under the roof/hardtop, but I've noticed that with certain drivers their head is higher than the bar.

Its best aspect is the harness bar, made fitting the seats and harnesses really easy.

I'd go with Adam's suggestion of making your own if you've got the welding skills, just remember to add in a harness bar!

Ah yes, another of the issues with the cages designed to fit under a roof... 

I was going to do away with the roof. But I've brought some cobra bucket seats and there cloth. Doubt they will take kindly to being wet. I was thinking of making a so called bikini top for it for damp days but I've got so many other things to do on it it may have to weight

Mine neither! :d I'm sure Marto could knock something up, but in the name of ease/simplicity, the GCF one worked out well.

i need to get the front wings off and survey the rust on the front of the sills . the rear has been repaired to a resonable standard.

1 hour ago, BCF said:

Rust? Who cares. Self made speed holes.

dictates what sort of track car this is going to be;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ben (bunje) said:

dictates what sort of track car this is going to be;)

Not a track queen I hope??! The s***ter they look, the quicker they go.... :laugh:

• Haha 1

I've done the same Ben!

My MK3 MX-5 track thing. It was £1800 from Facebook! 2.0 Sport with the 6 speed and LSD. Cheaper than most MK1/2's!

53609576_10157099132932579_5322316648500

So far it's had new brakes all round (Brembo discs and M1166 pads), a exhaust manifold, Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers and some Michelin PS4 tyres. So it owes me about £3200 all in. 

Taking it to Donnington this weekend. Its going to take an age to get round with 150bhp/tonne, I really do miss 600bhp/tonne! 

11 minutes ago, Stephen W said:

I've done the same Ben!

My MK3 MX-5 track thing. It was £1800 from Facebook! 2.0 Sport with the 6 speed and LSD. Cheaper than most MK1/2's!

53609576_10157099132932579_5322316648500

So far it's had new brakes all round (Brembo discs and M1166 pads), a exhaust manifold, Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers and some Michelin PS4 tyres. So it owes me about £3200 all in. 

Taking it to Donnington this weekend. Its going to take an age to get round with 150bhp/tonne, I really do miss 600bhp/tonne! 

i have been keeping an eye on some of your facebook posts lol. o rdered a gcfabs roll bar yesterday and have started rebuildin gth ebrake calipers as they all seem to be stuck on.

4 hours ago, Ben (bunje) said:

i have been keeping an eye on some of your facebook posts lol. o rdered a gcfabs roll bar yesterday and have started rebuildin gth ebrake calipers as they all seem to be stuck on.

That'll happen a lot. We're on our second set of calipers now. As they're all refurb units they don't seem to last long (especially as ours is kept outside). Interested to see if the better brake fluid helps in any way.