A good buyer's guide?

AlexSB

Hi all - I'm going to be taking the plunge and purchasing a Westie in the next couple of months...in fact, I've a viewing lined up for Sunday.

I'm looking for a decent guide of what to look out for in terms of common problems and red flags when viewing. Or even just a few pointers on this thread.

There is an excellent guide on this forum for understanding and picking out the best spec for you. But I couldn't see anything about what to look out for when you actually view a car.

The car I'm seeing on the weekend is a 1993 1.6 xflow.

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks Chris - this is a great guide for choosing spec, but seemed to have less on the common faults to look out for.

I'll have a closer read though as I skimmed some bits!

I suppose “common faults” are a bit harder to pin down as they would depend on a lot of other factors like which chassis type, engine make & model, components and of course who built it!

edit: my turn to skim read! You mention a crossflow. @Thrustyjust @Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO Might know

I suggest driving more than one as they can be like chalk and cheese. 

its quite difficult as Chris says with common faults 

When I was buying i went for the following:  (this is just what i looked for not a definitive guide)

Look for the attention to detail on the build. Uniform look, of bolts and screws whats the wiring like under the dash? is it well thought through. What the history file like, more bills etc the better. 

Rust check any thing you can see.

can it be jacked at the rear have a good look under there. see whats it like. check for play if your allowed to jack it. 

i liked the fact mine had a few miles on it. Showed it was used, probably then reliable and fun. Not the be all and end all by any stretch but something i considered  

use your head if your not sure about it probably is not the "one" 

• Like 2

Common Faults.

It sounds simple, but in reality is really tricky to be definitive about; there are just so many hundreds and hundreds of permutations of car that not much really shows as a common fault they way they might with a regular car.

That said, certain engines and gearboxes may bring over common issues from the donor vehicle, so that's always worth checking out before a viewing. Really though, it's just a case of going over the whole car; pay close attention to the condition and straightness of all the chassis tubes, suspension wishbones etc. - westfield chassis have been continually developed over the years improving strength etc. Some hard used cars, or those with much higher powered engines than were originally designed for, or with particularly stiff suspension can suffer from cracks in chassis tubes around the front suspension, or in the diff cage, for example - it doesn't happen to very many cars at all, but is possibly the nearest thing to a common fault for a certain type of build, or certain type of use...

The best thing though is to look at as many cars as you can, even having a close look at members cars at club meets. The more you see, the more you'll very quickly start to get a "feel" for what a good build looks like.As much as anything, it can be down to how all the little details add up when you look closely - in particular, how well done the jobs are in the areas that aren't easily visible!

• Like 3

Hi Mate, and welcome!

Very difficult to answer question tbh...

Firstly, budget. An older x-flow car is more at the bottom end of potential westfield cars out there - don't be put off by that - I certainly wasnt!  However, dependant on your size, if its a narrow, it may be a little tight size wise - I know mine is. However, payback is less weight and a nimble chassis, not to mention that glorious xflow noise. Bog standard engines so not a lot to check to (hopefully) make sure its a goodun....

More modern engines will see the budget rise, and possibly more to check on too...

If you have a reasonable knowledge of cars - mechanical noises and corrosion etc, then a westfield is pretty simple to have a good look around, and very easy / quick to jack up and have a good look underneath. Normal engine checks like state of oil, coolant checks, running noises and clutch biting points are all standard stuff - if your not too familiar with this, then take someone who is, or better still, someone from the forum local to the car will often volunteer to help.

Don't get too hung up on bhp, set up, chassis and gearing can make quite small bhp numbers seem a lot bigger on the road or track.

More modern engines on newer chassis are lovely bits of kit, but it all depends on what you want, what your budget is, and how much you want to tinker...

Generally, the cheaper the deal, the more it will cost to put right, upgrade etc, but there are great cars out there for not a lot.

value for money / smiles per mile, a westfield of any description takes some beating imho...

Good luck,

Mart.

• Like 2

Whereabouts are you? I’m sure someone local would be happy to lend a second pair of eyes - possibly a very experienced pair if you’re lucky!

It's a little complicated - I'm in Glasgow. But the car I'm visiting on Sunday is over in Norwich.

If someone is from the Norwich area I'd be more than happy to repay their time and travel!

Hi Alex welcome and good luck with your search most has already been said and I’m sure there will be someone who will either know the car or be able to assist with some pointers 

but first impressions count and really there aren’t to many nooks  and crannies to delve into a torch and mirror are handy for checking behind the dash etc

and don’t forget when the momentous day arrives that you purchase your westy pictures are compulsory 

good luck 

• Like 1

:ww: from Essex.

The mighty xflow is a great place to start if you're not a "mechanic". They are simple to work on and a great way to cut your teeth, plus you'll have one of the best sounding cars at any meet!

As mentioned, check the fluids aren't somehow mixing, look for smoke on start up, basic stuff really.

Take your time, walk away if you're not sure and, if you buy it, post photos and have fun!

• Like 2

I would tentative suggest find your local group and see if anybody would lend a hand with looking at car's.

Best thing I did before I started my WF life :westy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Banshee said:

Where’s the car advertised

It's up on Facebook. They seem to come around fairly often n the marketplace. 

24 minutes ago, BugMan said:

I would tentative suggest find your local group and see if anybody would lend a hand with looking at car's.

Best thing I did before I started my WF life :westy:

Cool, I'll see whose active down in Norwich.