Peak District Winter Sun Run, Sunday 17th Feb

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet 11 am at Sainsburys, Matlock, DE4 3SP, where you can get fuel, refreshments and loos. It has forecast a relatively (it is still February) warm and sunny day, so the long shadows and clear winter air should give us some cracking views as we head round in a circle for a hour or so. We will end up 4 miles away for lunch about 12.30 at The Stone Centre, with it's floor to ceiling windows allowing you to absorb the views, it has new owners and proper homemade food.

All the ingredients for a great day out, the icing on the cake is you of course, so are you going to join us?

• Like 1

Would love to but nope. To much to do for sons wedding on 23rd. Visitors due imminently :(  

We will be there if we are not too tired from our Whitby excursion!

• Like 1

On 12/02/2019 at 21:18, AndrewBClarke said:

Would love to but nope. To much to do for sons wedding on 23rd. Visitors due imminently :(  

Coming!!!!  

• Like 1

Goody, goody, I am messing about with routes and I am proposing change of plan. Matt and Andrew are travelling a fair distance and Martyn and Sue are not exactly on the doorstep, so how about we go for a bite to eat first, at a new place only 5 miles away from Sainsburys?

So still meet at Sainsburys, but just use it to gather everyone together and go for eats. I could book a table for 9 people at 11.15, that includes for Michael and Marie too.

Then with full tums we can have a scenic drive and land back at a place only 2 miles out of Matlock for some cake.

• Like 3

Hope you've all had fun. The weather looks ideal! I've been stuck inside painting my eldest daughter's room whilst she's on a ski trip with school! :bangshead:

• Sad 1

Just think of all the brownie points though @IanK (Bagpuss). The major thing we were missing today was the sun, it was the thing I was counting on to make the views stunning, so please accept my apologies as it turned out to be not the prettiest of journeys. Everything else was a success so one cannot complain.

Meeting us at Matlock were Andrew, Matt and Paula, Martyn and Sue, Bill, Michael and Jeanine. The Lincolnshire crew's cars turned up a bit worse for wear after a 2 hour run, I think they came straight through the farmers fields :d

DSC07202.JPG

At Sainsburys, Matlock

DSC07203.JPG

And soon we started being silly and doing the panorama dance. Andrew taught Matt how to do it and for a first timer he did good..

DSC07205.JPG

Jeanine's face lit up with delight when she saw our cars for the first time

DSC07207.JPG

We posed through Matlock Bath and arrived at Homesford, our reservation was situated right next to the log burner and although it was not cold at all Jeanine and I were more than happy to guard it.

DSC07209.JPG

We all enjoyed our breakfast/lunch/brunch whatever you want to call it at 11.30am.

Parked at Homesford

DSC07211.JPG

DSC07213.JPG

Homesford, a quaint little building sat on it's own, it is also a textile workshop, just in case you fancy a bit of knitting (Martyn)

DSC07214.JPG

The 'Run Without the Sun' came next, through Cromford, up to Youlgreave, Newhaven, down the Via Gellia road, through Winster and to The Whitworth Centre in Darley Dale. 

Parked at Whitworth

DSC07217.JPG

It was time for cake and the Clarke brothers were first in the queue, well spotted, they found the sticky toffee cake.

DSC07219.JPG

Come closer, there's more

DSC07220.JPG

Paula was showing off and being healthy with her choice of carrot cake :d that's one of your five a day sorted then!

DSC07223.JPG

Now we were all full it was time to go home

DSC07224.JPG

Back in the car park and look what came and parked next to us. Matt was a bit of an expert with Porsches so was delighted to see a limited edition. A young lad was driving it too, who's a lucky boy.

DSC07225.JPG

Matt, Paula and Andrew followed us back through Chatsworth Park where the sun made a late appearance, so at least some of the views looked pretty. A great day, thank you to everyone for coming and hey, it wasn't bad weather for February was it?

• Like 7

Photo courtesy of Paula, who probably does not quite realise what she has captured here, it is Mininglow. A Neolithic tomb to some, but a very unique and visible landmark to others, with it's tall trees surrounded by small trees. I am talking stand on the Mam Tor ridge in the North and you will see it, then drive out of Ashbourne in the South and you will see it, also see it from Froggatt Edge in the East. It seems to follow you around the Peak District, Glen and I always point it out to each other when we see it, the conversation goes 'hey, guess what, you can see Mininglow from here' this is like having a photo of an old friend. We don't actually have a photo of it, so well done Paula.

minninglow.jpg

Sorry, I'll get me anorak. Here is another photo from Paula with us on the move, it's always good to have other peoples photos

sun run.jpg

• Like 3