Suspension setup

Qwertyseiw

I have recently bought an Aerorace track car.  It has Westfield branded suspension.  I attach a photo which shows the damper adjustment? knob on a rear shock.  The fronts have the same knob.  Can I safely wind these fully out or in to a mechanical stop?  Before I mess with them I want to be sure I can’t damage something by winding too far?  Does anyone know how many clicks from full soft to full hard?  I’ve spun one of them 20 clicks and not found a hard stop.  Any advice on what settings for the track?

Many thanks.

85DBB493-854D-4265-90F9-8AE5EBBEB9BA.jpeg

As an addendum, my rear tires are catching the wheel arch so wondered if anyone had a pdf of the ride height/suspension instructions - again as above, standard set field suspension all round?

thanks 

Just now, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

As an addendum, my rear tires are catching the wheel arch so wondered if anyone had a pdf of the ride height/suspension instructions - again as above, standard set field suspension all round?

thanks 

@Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO that doesn't sound good. Ride height/suspension settings are unlikely to fix this. You've either got the wrong wheel offset or too wide a tyre. 

The attached set-up sheet for the S2000 will give you some idea of typical settings.

Car Suspension Set-Up Sheet Honda S2000 widetrack.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

@Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO that doesn't sound good. Ride height/suspension settings are unlikely to fix this. You've either got the wrong wheel offset or too wide a tyre. 

The attached set-up sheet for the S2000 will give you some idea of typical settings.

Car Suspension Set-Up Sheet Honda S2000 widetrack.pdf

Agreed, Toybox car, and new 15” wheels which whilst only wearing 205 rubber are right to outside of arches. So much so that the return of the arch is wearing the shoulder of the tire - more so on drivers side (my weight is suspect!) but does so on passenger side if one rides too.

andrew did say he’d had to get different offset to ‘fill the arches’ but I didn’t think it would do this? 

3 minutes ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

Agreed, Toybox car, and new 15” wheels which whilst only wearing 205 rubber are right to outside of arches. So much so that the return of the arch is wearing the shoulder of the tire - more so on drivers side (my weight is suspect!) but does so on passenger side if one rides too.

andrew did say he’d had to get different offset to ‘fill the arches’ but I didn’t think it would do this? 

Do you know what width and ET they are? Mine came with ET23 7" wide rear rims. No issues with them touching the arches with 205 width tyres on mine. I'd go back to Andrew.

Perhaps you could dremmel the inner lip of the arch to gain some clearance

1 hour ago, John said:

Perhaps you could dremmel the inner lip of the arch to gain some clearance

Brave pills needed....I'd speak to andrew

looks like the wheel is catching the chassis /ali panel, the wheel offset will be different on a car with on axle to independent.try putting a small spacer between the wheel and the brake disc and check  clearance on the in side of the wheel and the outside ,adjust thickness as required

• Like 1

Cheers for the info and support. I’ll call Andrew on Monday and chase up as I’d like to get it properly set up for me without concern. 

Ill read through the links and check the settings too. 

SXRORY don’t think I’ve got any of those pills having just bought it! 

Chris, do you mean it is catching on the inside of the wheel arch (which is what your photo suggests) or the outer rim of the fibreglass wheel arch?

If it is on the inside, then as John Hoyle says, a pair of wheel spacers would be the answer. And quite a cheap solution. However, if it is the outer part of the wheel arch which is catching then it may mean having to swap the wheels for a pair with more offset.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/02/2019 at 20:52, John Hoyle said:

looks like the wheel is catching the chassis /ali panel, the wheel offset will be different on a car with on axle to independent.try putting a small spacer between the wheel and the brake disc and check  clearance on the in side of the wheel and the outside ,adjust thickness as required

John, is that you, I've seen your YB post on another thread but cannot reply or PM you.

justin.smith@rs200.org

Call Andrew, he'll sort it.

Got my car a year ago and still have him calling me to help if I post that I've had a problem even if it's a hypothetical question!

Quick update:

Called Andrew and discussed with him and Dale (sent photos and video to asist) - Result, he has new wheels ordered and I will pop up for a swap in the next few weeks.  Then it is time for a reset of suspension and a corner weight and setup session at Track Developments, Castle Coombe.