Morris

XI seen for sale

Morris

Has anyone seen this interesting XI project for sale on eBay? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264183082123

It comprises an eclectic mix of components including a 2 litre BMW M10 engine that fits under the bonnet, Anglia rear axle, Capri brakes, Vauxhall master cylinder...

A good little project for someone!

BugMan

OMG, don't really know much about the XI, but that looks fantastic, you have to fel for the poor chap who built it, and lovingly put it together who now has to hand it on :westy:

stephenh

It looks a bit rough, and with that spindly roll hoop I don't think it would stand a hope of meeting MSA blue book requirements for sprinting. Seems strange that it has done only 400 miles, yet was registered 20 odd years ago.???

• Like 1

Morris

And a real hotch potch of parts also (i.e. not very Midget based!). By the looks of the size of that engine surely the weight distribution of the car will bias more towards the front end now? A nice solid project though in the right hands.

Is there a formal register held somewhere of all XIs manufactured? Would be very interesting to know how many of these cars have actually been sold since its conception.

Nick - Joint North East AO

A proper "kit" with bits from whatever he could get that fitted days :d:d, as they were pre- SVA. Nothing wrong with that, will need a good checking over, if not taking totally apart and putting back together again, as these things often do. But could be a good car once done right. I worry, when adverts says things like " completed quickly to get in before SVA, and then don't show much in the way of pictures under the bonnet :o

• Like 1

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

I had BMW 2002s over 30years ago and great cars they were.  A Ti engine should yield 120bhp and is a cast iron blocked engine with an alloy head so the weight addition should not be too catastrophic.  It will have much more torque than any A series and I think would drive well.   A Ford Anglia axle can be made good for 170bhp so the combination should work and have potential.

The roll hoop will not comply with Motorsport UK's requirements but Rob has come up with a hoop design that does.

The link now says "This listing was ended by the seller because the item was lost or broken" - careless!

Simon

PS - BMW Motorsport sent engineers out in the eighties to comb scrapyards for 2002 engines for them to use as the base for the 1000bhp+ turbocharged F1 engines of that era.  Well used road blocks were suitably de-stressed and more suitable for the ridiculous upgrades to F1 spec than new castings.

• Like 2

jonjh1964

must have found or fixed it as it's relisted

2002ti XI

stephenh

The new advert says it had an electrical fault which has now been fixed.

robhume

A buyer might struggle to fit a roll bar like I have, on an eleven with the fairing but, the one on the car

would not meet the current requirements and would also need other safety features as well,

if, as the ad suggest, it could be used for hill climbs.

But being already registered, alas with a Q plate, would save the hassle of going through the process

and as Simon says, the BMW engine, provided it is the right one, would be and interesting prospect

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

I wish I had the courage to take this on, but I fear it would become a wannabe project when the difficulties become clearer. 

Morris

And I must try to stay focused as I have only just started to build mine!

• Haha 1