What have I bought?

Qwertyseiw

Hi,

I bought a 2nd Westfield at the weekend.  It appears built only for track days.  It doesn’t even have a speedo or handbrake!  It also has no paperwork or clear history. So I attach 4 pics with 4 questions;  does it have a dry sump system?  What gearbox does it have?  What differential (I’m guessing we cannot tell this by just looking?  The seller said it wasn’t an LSD) and does it have a swirl pot fuel system?

The engine is a Zetec with bike carbs. Not sure what th3 paper label denotes?   It has a AutoPro sticker on it.

Any info greatly received.

Many thanks.

E7BA10E5-5A45-4B0B-AA3A-D11DF1EF7C30.jpeg

7581EF49-FD8D-4F03-9DB5-7AF51FECD595.jpeg

C14AD456-A773-4C62-9953-CB3CD4DDC766.jpeg

E058D6B2-47E2-4742-B8E3-B83F89107321.jpeg

81C4E936-EC73-478B-8F27-CA5F0215D8BA.jpeg

80019CBB-5279-4280-A2B7-15B2085378BC.jpeg

Cant see no dry sump. Look at the engine sump. Any hoses coming off it ? No, then wet sump.

Diff, you cant tell like that.  Spin one wheel off the floor. if the opposing one goes the same way then an LSD usually. Opposite way and open diff. 

Engine details is just build by Ford.

Type 9 gearbox

No, nothing in or out of sump. I wondered what that black cylinder is in passenger side rear corner of the engine compartment?  It has two black hoses, one from top of engine, another to the side of engine, plus a 3rd breather pipe.  The cylinder also has a drain nut in the bottom of it.  What is this cylinder?

6 minutes ago, Qwertyseiw said:

.What is this cylinder?

Probably an oil vapour catch can

6 minutes ago, Qwertyseiw said:

No, nothing in or out of sump. I wondered what that black cylinder is in passenger side rear corner of the engine compartment?  It has two black hoses, one from top of engine, another to the side of engine, plus a 3rd breather pipe.  The cylinder also has a drain nut in the bottom of it.  What is this cylinder?

Sounds like an oil catch can.

Oil catch can.

Looks fairly basic spec, but you haven't taken pictures of anything particularly interesting. 

Fuel tank looks to have a sump but no swirl pot set up, from what we can see. Shouldn't need one though.

Whereabouts are you?

Why don't you phone mike at AutoPro who built the car he is a nice guy and sure he will tell you the full spec of the car when he built it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rednop1 said:

Why don't you phone mike at AutoPro who built the car he is a nice guy and sure he will tell you the full spec of the car when he built it

Totally agree with Rednop, where are you based mate?

Many thanks for all your replies.  I now understand the car to be fitted with a Raceline wet sump, Type9 gearbox, open diff and no swirl pot attached.  I did speak briefly to Mike several weeks ago, but that was a while before deciding to buy the car.  He did say it was commissioned as a very basic low cost track car.  He did say the Zetec was new and he fitted it with the bike carbs. Westfield have confirmed the chassis as a 2002.  It is in very good condition so I’m guessing it was all repainted when re-built in 2014.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RussH said:

Has it got an oil catch can though?

That does appear to be the consensus.  I’ll know when I remove the drain plug. I just thought it odd that it had 2 top connecting pipes plus a 3rd breather pipe.

27 minutes ago, Qwertyseiw said:

That does appear to be the consensus.  I’ll know when I remove the drain plug. I just thought it odd that it had 2 top connecting pipes plus a 3rd breather pipe.

Two pipes and a breather with filter on are normal. One from crank case other from cam cover.