freezing outside tap

dombanks

I want to put a tap just inside my garage door for use with the hose etc. I was thinking I can T off inside the house just after the meter and go out through the wall and down into the ground for the 2m or so into the back of the garage and then just run it in the garage to the the front using that blue plastic pipe.

How would I stop the foot or so of pipe from freezing that runs down into the ground after it comes out of the wall? Just putting some lagging seems a bit wrong?

I'd put a decent (Pegler) ball valve inside the house anyway, and turn it off with the end tap open when frost is expected. If you prepare for it to freeze, it won't matter when it does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

I'd put a decent (Pegler) ball valve inside the house anyway, and turn it off with the end tap open when frost is expected. If you prepare for it to freeze, it won't matter when it does.

This is what I have done, simple solution.

I have a plastic pipe and have put a plastic stop valve just above ground then more plastic pipe to a brass tap. In winter I close the plastic valve and open the brass tap. Pipe is lagged.

Cheers

I'll want to stop it freezing so ill lag it where its above gound.  Im moving the washer from this little outhouse thing into the garage as well now... Its where im picking up the water supply.

Did you use PEX pipe or MDPE Pipe.

MDPE. There's a farmer's cattle trough in a field near me fed by MDPE pipe above ground for a few metres. Not lagged and hasn't split in winter yet.

On 28/01/2019 at 07:57, Stuart said:

MDPE. There's a farmer's cattle trough in a field near me fed by MDPE pipe above ground for a few metres. Not lagged and hasn't split in winter yet.

just about  every boat marina in the country has a supply to each berth using the same stuff . 

farmers use it to supply water to cattle , stables etc etc . 

Clad the pipe and then attach a small NTC heater (50 to 100W) to the indoor pipe using copper pipe saddles (make sure the pipes are earthed), have a cheap temperature controller (a central heating thermostat will do) to turn it on/off, I did this in 2009 when we had the -12 temperatures in the west mids, it worked a treat, never again did I lose the use of my kitchen taps due to cold.

I'd put it the 'T' just the OTHER SIDE of the meter..... then water the car to my heart's content...... but that's just me!

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

I'd put it the 'T' just the OTHER SIDE of the meter..... then water the car to my heart's content...... but that's just me!

No need to here, not on a meter!