Does the VED and MOT system actually work ?

Thrustyjust

Found out that a person in our work estate has not had an MOT on their car, ever and the vehicle is now 5 years and 2 months old. So, in theory doesnt have VED on the vehicle either. So, we have left a note on the screen with the print outs about it being sorn and no MOT since Dec 2016 ! . That was a week ago. Allegedly it had a new screen this week, so the owner is fixing this , but should not be driving it, which they are.

Thats by the by in a way. But the question is , is it just been a cost cutting exercise with the new system and a load of codswallop about how much efficient it is compared to the old way, or is it just as unreliable and worryingly someone proving that they car drive on the roads for over 2 years without fear of being stopped ?

I dont think the owner must understand the process of a car to make it legal which may have issues with its insurance too, but I cant prove that one.

It would be interesting to know how much better/ worse the people who ignore/ wont/ have no idea on what they need to do to get a car legally on the road, with this system compared to the old one.

Discuss...........................

Pikeys......no road tax, no mot, no insurance, no respect, no worries....

Report it and when plod does nothing you'll understand why they don't either.

Sadly the owner isnt a pikey and the car looks pretty roadworthy. Maybe a big oversight but somewhere the 'system' we pay money into for non car people might not work very well. 

Thats pretty amazing. Either they know where the local ANPR cameras are or you dont have any. 

A few years ago i had sorned a car for just over a year. I then had it mot'd and taxed it on a friday, was driving back from a friends on saturday afternoon when i heard sirens getting getting closer and closer. 

Turns out i triggered the ANPR as un taxed an no mot. I was driving on the outskirts of Northampton and plod was dispatched from town centre tracking me across town using ANPR. 

Since then I've believed it pretty difficult to run without mot or tax without stealing number plates from a similar vehicle.

ANPR cameras in most if not all police cars in addition to static road side cameras.

chances of being caught is fairly high I would have thought, especially on main roads and definitely on motorways.

Was stopped by plod in my tin top couple of years back. ANPR no insurance! Turned out my insurance certificate had a one wrong letter compared to the number plate! Probably my fault. Moral of story, always check number plate on certificate matches car!

Checked insurance database and it is insured, but to what level without mot and VED ? I will check after the weekend and if still not up to date may progress this further with another note. Not really a 'dobber' but it could create issues if the car was involved in something, as for not doing it for over 2 years ( for its first MOT) and someone must have ticked SORN on the VED , unless it was done before the person bought it ? I dont know, but seems the system is pretty open for abuse/ forgetfullness/ understanding, which is why I asked here, if it actually works ! The owner is a smart dressed person, so not as if its a shed with a donut driving and looks like wanting to avoid things if known, in my eyes anyway.

@Thrustyjust Just be observant when driving close to his home!!

I would hazard a guess his insurance is invalid without mot. VED is for DVLA to chase but may also invalidate insurance. I stand to be corrected mind. 

39 minutes ago, Greenstreak-Andy D said:

@Thrustyjust Just be observant when driving close to his home!!

I would hazard a guess his insurance is invalid without mot. VED is for DVLA to chase but may also invalidate insurance. I stand to be corrected mind. 

I dont drive to work, so use the cycle ways . I cant get run over by the offender unless the car follows me through the fenced off areas :d

5 minutes on Google seems to suggest that no tax/no MOT is largely irrelevant as to whether the vehicle is insured. It may make it easier for the insurers to wriggle out of a claim, but not having tax/MOT doesn't automatically mean no insurance. 

There can of course be exceptional circumstances, and they can apply to either party that was to be involved in an incident with a vehicle with nothing but insurance, but that's a whole other discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

Well if you want to 'dob' in for the lack of VED, you call the fuzz. Not wanting the grief in all that and be a 'bit ' anonymous with who has , but with MOT , you can fill in a few lines on an on line form , such as to where its been seen ( great system again , I suppose if they hadnt registered it) . So, we sit and wait for a week. And hey presto !! an MOT on Saturday and ..................it failed on one tyre being dangerous to drive and not to drive , advisories on  cracking brake hoses and worn discs.

And the tyre isnt changed and the car is still in daily use and obviously driven away from the MOT station  :bangshead:

Sometimes you cant educate pork................................

The DVLA systems are really only any good for identifying and fining honest tax payers who register cars honestly and are easy to trace.