OMEX 630 ECU Connection

Scotty72

Terryathome
1 hour ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

We can help with that too:d

Can you build my car for me? Tea and biscuit in it for you.

• Haha 3
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
44 minutes ago, Terryathome said:

Can you build my car for me? Tea and biscuit in it for you.

You’re well beyond help :cry:

• Haha 1
On 22/01/2019 at 20:17, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

We can help with that too:d

OK, so the sump plug has been replaced with the VDO Oil temp sender (same one that @CraigHew mentions in another thread - 

1 x VDO Oil Temperature Sender M14X1.5 Thread  (Merlin Part  323801004039D )

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/vdo-oil-temperature-sender-m14-x-1-5-thread-323801004039d

My Dash2 config file equation for Oil Temp is;   Y = -1.88 X 3 +11.89 X 2 - 49.3x +120.19

The self-appointed Dash" guru for the forum is Ian, who I'm sure can help with config issues if they arrise.

@IanK (Bagpuss)

The sender itself seems a lot shorter than others I’ve seen, but after a play with my Infra-red temp gun and new figures into the Dash2 config tables it seems to work well.

Question is now about wiring it into the Dash2. Is it as simple as just connecting it to the correct pin/wire on the dash and then sending the config to the dash for that channel?

4 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

OK, so the sump plug has been replaced with the VDO Oil temp sender (same one that @CraigHew mentions in another thread - 

1 x VDO Oil Temperature Sender M14X1.5 Thread  (Merlin Part  323801004039D )

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/vdo-oil-temperature-sender-m14-x-1-5-thread-323801004039d

My Dash2 config file equation for Oil Temp is;   Y = -1.88 X 3 +11.89 X 2 - 49.3x +120.19

The self-appointed Dash" guru for the forum is Ian, who I'm sure can help with config issues if they arrise.

@IanK (Bagpuss)

The sender itself seems a lot shorter than others I’ve seen, but after a play with my Infra-red temp gun and new figures into the Dash2 config tables it seems to work well.

Question is now about wiring it into the Dash2. Is it as simple as just connecting it to the correct pin/wire on the dash and then sending the config to the dash for that channel?

Yep! Westfield have already fitted the pull up resistor in the wiring loom. you just need to find the loom adapter behind the dash!

image.png.b9841d2b46f18c3e6c9167dc0f6c1505.png

You're after the yellow/green wire & connector your oil temp sender in here>

image.png.7ac1616798d4b6714e96d4a59696b6e4.png

I'll let @CraigHew provide the formula if you're using the same sender as him.

For some unknown reason, the resistor for analogue 1 is missing from the connector. Just ordered one of these to fit so im stuck now until the delivery arrives on Monday.

analogue 2,3,4 have the resistor already fitted as those channels are in use for Water, Oil pressure and Fuel.

I did try a smaller resistor with the formula that @CraigHew provided on another thread but the reading with a cold engine showed the Oil temp at 129C.....

21 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

For some unknown reason, the resistor for analogue 1 is missing from the connector. Just ordered one of these to fit so im stuck now until the delivery arrives on Monday.

analogue 2,3,4 have the resistor already fitted as those channels are in use for Water, Oil pressure and Fuel.

I did try a smaller resistor with the formula that @CraigHew provided on another thread but the reading with a cold engine showed the Oil temp at 129C.....

How strange- did you measure from the pin to +5V to check it's not there (with the ignition off). As it's usually heatshrunk with the others and may not be so obvious. A different value will indeed give different temps!

No I didn't have to. Traced all the analogue cables and analogue 1 wasn't connected to anything.

Think this is one for you @IanK (Bagpuss)

Replaced the resistor to analogue 1 this morning and reconnected everything. The value displayed on the dash using @CraigHew formula is showing 150C with a cold engine.

How do I work out a new formula to get the correct readings? The Generate Equation from Table function uses Volts but the table below is in Ohms

This is the table from VDO for the sender

image.png.1dfbad414b0344ec95edd766b515317d.png

Hi @Scotty72 there's a nice spreadsheet, I've pinched from http://westfield-world.com/rtdash2.html

It's calculates the volts based on the pull up resistor value and the value of the sender at a given temperature (basically it's a potential divider with the sender part varying with temp).

The voltage from the sender = (value of sender/(value of pull-up+value of sender) * 5V

This gives:

image.png.a804c0253b485380b96a9f8bfdf9fe60.png

however the dash2, create equation from a table function only allows a maximum of 25 values.

So I've removed so of the lower values (5, 15,25 etc) 

to produce

image.png.2ffbffe37cf2878784beb4af5e31f7c0.png

This has then been entered into the Dash2 software

image.png.9a5d2693e2853b5b9d3eb59583a4c6b7.png

(you can't view all 25 values on one screen, hence you need to scroll down).

image.png.3ae56f8670226d744f62a999bc392622.png

So you need to enter the formula: 

image.png.d525bec048a16a3451e60460ff44b7f7.png

image.png.5fbdd278bd6068cd626ad4fb30aef894.png

Don't miss the minus symbols out!

Best regards,

Ian

• Like 2
CraigHew

@Scotty72

Not sure why my forula would be so far out for you.  Are you sure you entered it correctly (especially the minus values)?

12 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

@Scotty72

Not sure why my forula would be so far out for you.  Are you sure you entered it correctly (especially the minus values)?

@CraigHew me neither! I've spoken with him and he's not got a hidden resistor in parallel to the 910 Ohms he's fitted.

6 hours ago, CraigHew said:

@Scotty72

I've no idea either.....

Have input the new formula as @IanK (Bagpuss) has worked out and all seems ok. Cold engine reading for oil was at 22c (water showing 23.8) stated the engine and left running for 15 mins and observed oil temp steadily increasing up to 89c before I turned it off. Unsure how accurate it is but at least it's working!

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
sniktun
On 18/01/2019 at 08:39, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

@Scotty72 drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send across what you need !

Hello mate, would you be able to send me the same file? I've got the exact same issue! thanks

3 hours ago, sniktun said:

Hello mate, would you be able to send me the same file? I've got the exact same issue! thanks

Hi @sniktun is your ECU unlocked? What exactly are you trying to do?  Happy to help etc, though as you're only a trial member, we may not be able to use the messaging service on here to swap contact details etc. Have you recently bought a Mega S2000? There's lots of good info on here and you'll be well supported etc. Hence I'd recommend joining this great club.