Is there another way?

snowy892

Hi, 

After fitting my Daylight driving lamps with success I then plugged in my trickle charger and the lamps stayed on permanently! I then removed the bonnet and fuse for the lamps, then they went off. Is this what I have to do from now on? 

I have had a suggestion from another member to use a isolator switch that connects to the battery to save removing the fuse but I still have to remove the bonnet..

Is there any other way????

I'm guessing you have one of the small DRL controllers that uses the voltage at the battery to identify if the car is running.

The simplist way is to connect the DRL positive feed which is currently attached to the battery to a positive feed that is controlled by the ignition. One of these is ideal, just hook it into the required ignition fuse. 

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/mini-add-a-circuit-blade-fuse-holder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I do have one them controllers. 

Sounds like a plan, Thanks. On the off chance do you know which is the ignition fuse? Or does it depend on what model you have coupled with engine etc..

The cars are all a bit different, I think I used the interior heater circuit, as it was not critical to the operation of the car. 

I used one of these or very similar and not had an issue.

• Thanks 1

Yes because it requires an ignition controlled 12v feed rather than direct connection to your battery and switching by voltage sensing like your current controller does.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snowy892 said:

Will this product stop my DRL coming on when the charger is plugged in? 

I use a battery charger and don't have any issues with the DRLs coming on. this version works off the ignition live. It's probably slightly more difficult to fit than the others because you have to get under under the dash and feed a wire through but it then just works.

With mine, I turn the ignition on the DRLs then come on, When I turn the head lights on they dim, when I turn the ignition off the DRLs go off, when I plug the charger in nothing happens to the DRLs.