Approved or Not "Lithium Batteries"

Marto303

You could haul around a lead acid battery

23 minutes ago, John said:

You could haul around a lead acid battery

There is an old red top hanging around the garage. will see.

I've read the regulation, and what the MSA has requested to the seller... and there is no technical information requiered.

Only pay the fee to register as a manufacturer. Another nosense money drainer. £2000 stolen from the sellers... for nothing (£206 each).

This can be considered as almost extortion... Half glad to see that This is not only an spanish federation thing.

Yep ...nothing wrong with Red Top or Yuasa battery IMHO except weight!

1 hour ago, maurici said:

There is an old red top hanging around the garage. will see.

I've read the regulation, and what the MSA has requested to the seller... and there is no technical information requiered.

Only pay the fee to register as a manufacturer. Another nosense money drainer. £2000 stolen from the sellers... for nothing (£206 each).

This can be considered as almost extortion... Half glad to see that This is not only an spanish federation thing.

@maurici

Mate I totally agree with you and think the rebrand of MSA to MSUK is just a mask to hide some of poor decisions made previously, as this proves. 

However if you want to compete in motorsport in the uk, then it’s MSUK events or Javelin SS, so you do have a choice if MSUK regs are stretching your budget too far. 

Personally im in to deep with time and money not to complete this year, but if we get more unjustified reg changes for 2020 that involve yet more investment I’ll have to seriously consider my options ! 

Marto :marto:

I was mooching around an RGB race car a couple of years ago and spotted a huge Lorry battery fitted.. well .. it was a big battery. I questioned the use of the huuuuge battery, and was told because the car was built under weight, any ballast added may as well be useful ballast. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Marto303 said:

@maurici

Mate I totally agree with you and think the rebrand of MSA to MSUK is just a mask to hide some of poor decisions made previously, as this proves. 

However if you want to compete in motorsport in the uk, then it’s MSUK events or Javelin SS, so you do have a choice if MSUK regs are stretching your budget too far. 

Personally im in to deep with time and money not to complete this year, but if we get more unjustified reg changes for 2020 that involve yet more investment I’ll have to seriously consider my options ! 

Marto :marto:

Or you can print an sticker of your favourite brand, stick it to your battery and have your battery discretely covered so it doesn't raises any concerns.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, maurici said:

Or you can print an sticker of your favourite brand, stick it to your battery and have your battery discretely covered so it doesn't raises any concerns.

You mean openly cheat :p

Sounds a risky plan to me

If you do 10 events then a new battery costs you £9 per event for a year and half that over 2 years etc. I can't but 2 glasses of wine for £10!!!!

I need to replace my Varley 25, I thought lithium batteries were a lot more expensive.

I always start mine first thing with a lead acid helper battery, can you still do this with a lithium main battery? My Varley is probably over 4 years old though!

It looks like he keeps 3 different types, which would be the best my 1600 Vauxhall?

Simon 

1 minute ago, SimonRad said:

I need to replace my Varley 25, I thought lithium batteries were a lot more expensive.

I always start mine first thing with a lead acid helper battery, can you still do this with a lithium main battery? My Varley is probably over 4 years old though!

It looks like he keeps 3 different types, which would be the best my 1600 Vauxhall?

Simon 

Best  to ring him as his stock doesnt reflect the website. Mine is an 09 model

Just now, John said:

Best  to ring him as his stock doesnt reflect the website. Mine is an 09 model

I’ll call him tomorrow and get one ordered 

thank you 

18 hours ago, John said:

You mean openly cheat :p

Definitely. Car will be 10 times faster... an 10 times lighter.

18 hours ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

If you do 10 events then a new battery costs you £9 per event for a year and half that over 2 years etc. I can't but 2 glasses of wine for £10!!!!

With all the respects, this maths are bulls***. And reflects the reality of everyone pockets. You can justify throwing 100 quid to replace a perfectly functional part of your current car just because Msa has decided to steal the manufacturers with no addition to safety performance or lightness...

Not only this. You compare throwing down the sink 100 quid against buying 2 glasses of wine along 10 weekends. But the reality is that you throw your 100 pounds down the sink. And no wine is given. And is not comfortably paid in 10 weeks. 

I don't know if your garden grows tenners... but mines definitely  doesnt.

I get that those are the rules. What i can't get is the acceptance and the normalization of being stolen... but when you assume 100 quid for a competitor should mean nothing, you have very little conscience of what club racing should mean.

For this sort of rubbish, motorsport in spain is dead... they killed the best national hill climb championship in europe (aside of the eurpean) in the mid 2000's and the spanish manufacturers did left the national championship to compete abroad because of doing this sort of shady "certifications" not accepting CE approved components or rejecting FIA homologated stuff because wasnt from a paid supplier. Pretty much the same  happened with rallyes... where we had more spanish teams competing in the ERC and WRC than in the actual spanish championship... witch was really sad. People quitting and rioting against the federation, triggered eventually a change.

Silence and acceptance when being stolen and extorted only seeds the land for more extortion in the future.

*EDIT.. any UN approved battery not exceeding 60 volts is accepted by FIA appendix J (or so i understand)... so we should be able to stick with a perfectly legal UN and FIA battery no matter what the msa says... i think.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maurici said:

Definitely. Car will be 10 times faster... an 10 times lighter.

With all the respects, this maths are bulls***.l and reflects the reality of everyone pockets. You can justify throwing 100 quid to replace a perfectly functional part of your current car just because Msa has decided to steal the manufacturers with no addition to safety performance or lightness...

Not only this. You compare throwing down the sink 100 quid against buying 2 glasses of wine along 10 weekends. But the reality is that you throw your 100 pounds down the sink. And no wine is given. And is not comfortably paid in 10 weeks. 

I don't know if your garden grows tenners... but mines definitely  doesnt.

I get that those are the rules. What i can't get is the acceptance and the normalization of being stolen... but when you assume 100 quid for a competitor should mean nothing, you have very little conscience of what club racing should mean.

For this sort of rubbish, motorsport in spain is dead... they killed the best national hill climb championship in europe (aside of the eurpean) in the mid 2000's and the spanish manufacturers did left the national championship to compete abroad because of doing this sort of shady "certifications" not accepting CE approved components or rejecting FIA homologated stuff because wasnt from a paid supplier. Pretty much the same  happened with rallyes... where we had more spanish teams competing in the ERC and WRC than in the actual spanish championship... witch was really sad. People quitting and rioting against the federation, triggered eventually a change.

Silence and acceptance when being stolen and extorted only seeds the land for more extortion in the future.

*EDIT.. any UN approved battery not exceeding 60 volts is accepted by FIA appendix J (or so i understand)... so we should be able to stick with a perfectly legal UN and FIA battery no matter what the msa says... i think.

I think most of us agree but some of us are prepared to take our trousers down more readily :oops:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

I think most of us agree but some of us are prepared to take our trousers down more readily :oops:

Then, be sure to buy some of this along with the new battery... index.jpg.65f3d5932b192a77c52e6431568bac69.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison pinned this topic

Don't overlook this requirement if you are running a Lithium battery

• John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison locked this topic
  • Captain Colonial unpinned this topic