Approved or Not "Lithium Batteries"

Marto303

So having missed a season last year I'm just catching up on reg changes for my car,  I understand there is a new reg for lithium batteries ( I've looked in BB but can't find it ) that states that lithium batteries if used must be from an approved manufacturer.

I have been using a lithium battery for at least two seasons which was supplied by Luke and has proved to be brilliant, but it's not from an approved manufacturer. Luke informs me he's tried to get this on the list but it hasn't happened as yet!

I've looked at a replacement battery from all of the manufacturers on the MSUK list and flipping heck they are expensive. so much so that I would go back to my old red top lead acid

So my question is, does this apply to speed events, if so are people still using lithium batteries from a non approved source ? has anyone been asked about this during scrutineering ? 

TIA 

Marto

Martin.

If its a lithium battery, it will need to be approved.

Blue book page 153 Section J 5.14.9

5.14.9. If non lead acid batteries are used as the main

vehicle battery, they battery pack(s) must carry the

appropriate “EC” and markings. and be either a

Standard Part or manufactured by a Motorsport UK

registered manufacturer.

The list of approved manufacturers is here https://www.motorsportuk.org/assets/batteryregistrations.pdf

Reasonably priced ones can be bought from Allan at A and G Motorcycles - http://www.aandgmotorcycles.co.uk/batteries.html (other suppliers also exist)

HTH

John

19 minutes ago, John said:

Martin.

If its a lithium battery, it will need to be approved.

Blue book page 153 Section J 5.14.9

5.14.9. If non lead acid batteries are used as the main

vehicle battery, they battery pack(s) must carry the

appropriate “EC” and markings. and be either a

Standard Part or manufactured by a Motorsport UK

registered manufacturer.

The list of approved manufacturers is here https://www.motorsportuk.org/assets/batteryregistrations.pdf

Reasonably priced ones can be bought from Allan at A and G Motorcycles - http://www.aandgmotorcycles.co.uk/batteries.html (other suppliers also exist)

HTH

John

Thanks John

I take it the batteries from A&G are from an approved manufacturer? Not much info on their web site. 

M

Allan there claims so. Best to ring and confirm but he is a hillclimber and sells to competitors in our sport

I believe he sells Powerlite batteries which were MSA/Motorsport UK approved

His number is 01387751152

8 minutes ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

I believe he sells Powerlite batteries which were MSA/Motorsport UK approved

His number is 01387751152

Thanks Terry

Yes Powerlite still on the list, Ill call him in the morning and report back.

M

At Christmas he was waiting for a fresh delivery from China. The boat had docked and the goods were on route to him

Just spoken to Allan, what a nice guy, super helpful and a very keen price. Needless to say order placed.

@Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary you are correct he supplies Powerlite Lithium Batteries, 3 sizes to choose from and come with a certificate of conformity for the MSUK scrutineers should they require it. This battery even comes with a free charger and all for under £100 :t-up:

Thanks for all your help.

ps I have a cheap non approved 14ah Plays-Kools supplied lithium battery for sale should anyone need it. :cool:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Marto303 Is your former lithium battery the "green" one that came from Lukes?

If so, is that the one that Isn't approoved?

And does that include fully road going cars?

• Like 1

A new one that is approved and complete with charger is £90 delivered. I have just taken delivery of one

Witch with license request to spain, plus licence plus entry championship fees plus battery... are  "a lot of money" already without having trown the car down the dollies.

There is poor people competing too. :)

It applies to all cars and the £90 deal is good. JFDI !

I don't do JFD things... that is for animals without the ability to think, reason or solve problems and challenges with various approaches.

And... more importantly... I'm skint.

• Captain Colonial pinned and locked this topic
  • Captain Colonial unpinned this topic