Future use of list 1C tyres

Terry Everall

Keith has not mentioned that legislation is already in place to move the next batch of energy inefficient tyres from 1A and 1B into 1C as they do not meet the wear regulations that allow them to be sold into the mass tyre market.

To meet these requirements Road Going tyres by definition will become progressively harder!

So the list of 1C tyres will not go away!

I have been looking at tyre options myself in conjunction with Keith and others and comparisons are not straight forward.

Sizes are not always similar and there is no real price benefit to go with 1A or 1B in favour of 1C List

The use of the road going sized tyres could involve needing new wheels, rear wheel arches and front cycle wings! All additional cost!

I have been advised that the suppliers of 1 C tyres are committed to the continued sale of the tyres into Motorsport markets!

It is important that we allow freedom of choice to allow the use of equipment most suitable to the specification of the cars built by entrants etc.

The removal of the use of 1 C tyres will in the foreseeable future result in only two tyre type options: progressively harder road going variants or slicks.

If they match your car specs and driving skills then fine but don't stop the use of 1Cs for others that are the best match for there requirements.

Please have all the factors out in the open before jumping to hasty conclusions!

Graham

• Like 1

Would it be impossible to have 2 target times in the road based classes, one for 1B tyres and one for 1C? 

How much slower are the 1B tyres? Working on times set in my old car I’d guess about 1sec over a 60sec run maybe not even that.

Could the ones who choose to use 1B tyres have some kind of bonus in the scoring to try even it up?

• Like 1