V5 doc and sellin a car

Terry Everall

Just selling may car to a friend. Can I inform DVLA on line that I am no longer the owner. Can the buyer immediately tax the car online before I send off the V5 to DVLA?

Yes and Yes

Between certain hours you can notify the owner change online https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle but at other times it would need to be done the old fasioned way.

The new keeper can tax the car on-line immediately with the document reference on the new keeper slip.

If it works, its brilliant and almost weird how we have gone from bits of paper lost in the wilderness for weeks to a system that immediately transfers for taxing etc.

It works. Bought a second hand bike a few months ago. Whilst the dealer wheeled it out I grabbed my laptop and the V5 and taxed it on-line. I already had insurance so it was all sorted.

Indeed it does work. I recently purchased a new (second-hand) car for Mrs H., and traded in her MX5 against it. We did the swap on Friday 30th. November. I notified DVLA of the disposal of the MX5 online the same day, and got a refund which included the whole of December. I'd have lost one whole month's tax refund if I had to do it the old paper through the post way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Just selling may car to a friend. Can I inform DVLA on line that I am no longer the owner. Can the buyer immediately tax the car online before I send off the V5 to DVLA?

Just make sure you give the buyer the green tear off slip.

Slight thread drift but my westie is currently SORN and MOT expired so I plan in Spring to take it for a pre-booked MOT appointment which is legal even though there is no current MOT.

My question is once MOT passed can I get new road tax online immediately as I otherwise can't drive it home without valid tax?

The only impediment might be if MOT system update is not immediate.

Anyone done this before? Thanks.

You can tax the car with the v5 document reference.

you can also drive home from the MoT having passed without having to buy tax for that journey as the legislation allows you to drive to and from a pre-booked MoT.

• Thanks 1