Rob55

LED Headlights All in one

Rob55

I just tried the LED lights on the bench, they run full beam off the red wire on its own, if you have both the dip (blue) and full beam (red) wires connected, they seem to burn slightly more intensely. So I have no other way to check, but to be on the safe side, I think I’ll have to try to kill the blue feed when I switch from dip to full. Any idea on the easiest way to rig this up?

Rob55

Also - just noticed the lights are marked DOT SAE E9. Does this mean they might actually pass an IVA test then?

Quinten

5 pin relay?

jonjh1964

image.thumb.jpg.3977faed88d2cc38386b28a6398c06a1.jpg

This is how the standard Westfield chassis loom side, low and high beam are wired.

For the venom I put a wire link from the feed to the low beam output and wired the high beam to the shield solenoid.

As Quinten states this can all be switched through relays - this is what I did to allow me to have a ‘flash’ when I fitted the freewheel.

• Thanks 1

Rob55

Thanks @jonjh1964 @Quinten And @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

My own loom was custom made, I have stripped out the thin cables for the venoms and traced a couple of heavy cables through for the new lights. Just need to redo the relays back at the fuse box and I think we should be in business :d

• Like 2

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Great news Rob!

acafrao

Hi @Rob55 after such thorough and extensive explanation and following  getting a note on the led light pattern at my yearly inspection I am tempted to attempt following the same approach as you did.

Did you end up getting it fully working? In regards to the original loom what changes did you have to perform?

Thanks for your help!

Rory's Dad

A slightly different question. I'm after 5.75 black shells with an LED main, dip and side. I have separate indicators and DRLS. My head is spinning too :o

Chester
On 16/01/2019 at 11:09, Chester said:

I fitted a pair of these recently:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-75-Motorcycle-Projector-LED-Headlight-DRL-Daymaker-Halo-for-Harley-Davidson/302623785456?hash=item4675c881f0:g:NPoAAOSwhDBZ8E2l:rk:2:pf:0

Got the pair for £65.

Used a DRL controller so that the DRLs reduce in brightness by about 50% when I switch side lights on.

Quick update on the ones I fitted.

MOT last week - first thing the tester did was a beam pattern check. Immediate fail. No cut off - just a round beam of light. It's the MOT place I have been using for the last 15 years on 3 different Westfield's I've owned.

Went home and put the old H4 units back in - passed OK.

Anyone else had problems at MOT time with the Harley style units?

McFrancis
11 hours ago, Chester said:

Quick update on the ones I fitted.

MOT last week - first thing the tester did was a beam pattern check. Immediate fail. No cut off - just a round beam of light. It's the MOT place I have been using for the last 15 years on 3 different Westfield's I've owned.

Went home and put the old H4 units back in - passed OK.

Anyone else had problems at MOT time with the Harley style units?

That's a worry I have exactly the same lights. Do your's have an E mark? 

Chester
7 hours ago, McFrancis said:

That's a worry I have exactly the same lights. Do your's have an E mark? 

From the listing:

"DOT E9 Approved - Meets strict beam and light pattern guide lines in USA and Europe"

The strange thing is it looks like they have a cut off when shining against the garage door but when I looked into the beam tester at the MOT it was just a round circle of light.

• Thanks 1