2019 Trackday chat

Andrew

On 14/09/2019 at 13:57, Mole said:

Hope you have a good test of the gearbox...

Well I reckon the gearbox is fine but.... I'm still having issues with the bit between the stick and the box. :(

I did I think, four sessions at Teesside last night. First one gear change was OK. During the second one, the stick suddenly went a bit "loose", and occasionally went past the gear if you know what I mean.. pushed into third, then the stick went further forward past the gate? Pretty sure one of the bushes in the extension has probably popped out, will take it to bits today. (Not impressed by the Rally Des extension)

Anyway, I was able to continue after removing some spacer washers from below the stick, and the last session I did it was usable. As I say, I'll perform a post mortem today.. I will get it fixed eventually!

The setting sun got a bit problematic for a while. 😎

707220405_Teessidesunset.jpg.a40525532d5214a7da5f984df81fb08e.jpg

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Teesside last night.

Keep meaning to go there - is it OK or a bit “Shell suit n trainers”?

20 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Definitely the latter. 😉

It's OK for a cheapy test if you need one, but the track is very bumpy in places .. seems to have got worse since the last time I was there a couple of years back.

Last night it was very busy, queuing to get out every time for around 5 mins. I don't think I've had that on the full days they do.

I got my £40 worth. :yes:

36 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Definitely the latter. 😉

Sounds like you'll fit right in Chris!

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

Sounds like you'll fit right in Chris!

Careful - you know what happened last time 😁

• Like 1

Nope! I think all circuits are different though depending on position of mic, side of exhaust can, wind direction, etc. I'm fairly sure 92 drive-by at Oulton allows louder cars than 98 drive-by at Donington, for example. I've known some really loud cars have no issues at Oulton.

For reference, my car blows 101 static.

16 hours ago, AdamR said:

Nope! I think all circuits are different though depending on position of mic, side of exhaust can, wind direction, etc. I'm fairly sure 92 drive-by at Oulton allows louder cars than 98 drive-by at Donington, for example. I've known some really loud cars have no issues at Oulton.

For reference, my car blows 101 static.

I agree. It's probably a bit misleading giving drive by limits that don't compare with one another? And then there's Blyton's 95db drive by that also seems to be less troublesome  than Donny's 98. 

Ive heard VERY loud things in blyton going around with little trouble.

I think Mr usher, very wisely enforces a ZERO tolerance policy about noise after 7pm to keep the farms happy, but not that bothered about the driveby noise.

Yeah that’s great to hear it’s just a little disconcerting when the drive by is as low as 92db & you have been ping at Mallory at 106db.

But I am tempted all depends how work goes.👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maurici said:

Ive heard VERY loud things in blyton going around with little trouble.

I think Mr usher, very wisely enforces a ZERO tolerance policy about noise after 7pm to keep the farms happy, but not that bothered about the driveby noise.

I don't think Richard Usher has anything to do with Blyton now does he? He was managing it for Ginetta for a while but I think he's moved on from that now.

Last time I was there with my son in his CRX, he pinged the noise meter and was given a fingers in ears signal. I think it had been mentioned in the briefing.. just meant he had to ease off past the noise meter.  I saw the same at Donington last year.. they just bring you in, tell you which meter you're tripping and advise you how to get round it. 

There aren't many venues left with absolutely no noise issues at all .. Knockhill must come close to that though. No noise testing.. and I'm not even sure they have a drive by mic. 

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

I don't think Richard Usher has anything to do with Blyton now does he? He was managing it for Ginetta for a while but I think he's moved on from that now.

Last time I was there with my son in his CRX, he pinged the noise meter and was given a fingers in ears signal. I think it had been mentioned in the briefing.. just meant he had to ease off past the noise meter.  I saw the same at Donington last year.. they just bring you in, tell you which meter you're tripping and advise you how to get round it. 

There aren't many venues left with absolutely no noise issues at all .. Knockhill must come close to that though. No noise testing.. and I'm not even sure they have a drive by mic. 

You are correct that Richard Usher has sold it to Ginetta, he has been runnning it for them but will be handing it over to another Circuit Manager in October. Alan Mugglestone who is a very experienced race engineer running a Motorsport business with his son Nick. He has worked in all kinds of motorsport at all levels from F1, F3, GT3 etc 

As for noise they do have a drive by just after the start by about 30 metres, it's exactly as Andrew has said.

• Thanks 1