Wiring Diagram for Fan needed (or Help!)

Scotty72

Last year my fan stopped working after removing the dash to tidy up the wiring.

As a temporary measure the guy who rebuilt my engine wired in a relay which works but the fan is constantly switching on/off at 85C.

I now want to remove the temporary fix, revert to normal setup and try to trace back why it stopped working in the first place. Can anybody help with a wiring diagram please or explain how it should be wired up.

Thanks in Advance  

Hi Scott,

See attached loom diagram.

The standard fan relay should be under the scuttle somewhere next to the flasher relay. Put your hazards on and follow the clicking to find it. The fuse shown as 15A Below is incorrect for the factory provided SPAL fan and 20A is needed.

image.png.41c2c86a0a93282063487fe258de74be.png

The fan should be controlled by the stat in the radiator. If you link this, the relay should close and the fan should run continuously.

image.png.6954729ef51b5e0d4ad0911685480b8c.png

The fan connector shown for completeness-

image.png.cc8fc2db013cc205b022d3ee6cdfcd1c.png

Best regards,

Ian

4833 Chassis Harness.pdf

Cheers Ian

I've disconnected the temp relay and am now left with this. Where does the BlackGreen cable go to?

20190114_132300.jpg

The black green cable is the postive feed to the fan.  N5 is a battery fed feed to the relay. BG102 is +12V when the relay is on. It goes to the fuse with wire BG102. BG14 is the wire from the fused side of the fuse to the fan positive.

image.png.98ea9d5fe4f3845a53f2e86b48dbe444.png

image.png.8f65025c586877bbe9c45b62b6258602.png

If you link out the thermstat. Is the fan relay energised?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

If I link out the thermostat the fan comes on.....

Could it be a dodgy thermostat?

Have you now got it wired correctly as per the diagram on the loom diagram? If so and it's still cycling on and off, I agree your rad stat is stuffed. It should have some hysteresis built in. i.e. Switch on at 90 degrees and off at 95 degrees.

Yes I reconnected to the loom and ran it up to 97C and NO Fan. Then linked out the stat and the fan came on straight away. Any idea for a part number to replace it? I have a motorfactors next door to where I work.

13 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Yes I reconnected to the loom and ran it up to 97C and NO Fan. Then linked out the stat and the fan came on straight away. Any idea for a part number to replace it? I have a motorfactors next door to where I work.

I've no idea what vehicle the factory part is from sorry, and I've not got one as my EWP controller switches my fan on and off too.

The factory have them in stock 97 on, 92 off : https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=638&search=switch&description=true

or

This one 87 on 77 off,: https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=995&search=switch&description=true

It's a M22 thread.

Given the Honda coolant Stat is set to open at 87 degrees C, I'd suggest the first one more suited to your car.

How are you measuring the coolant temp ? The Dash2 value may not be so accurate. An temp gun on the head outlet or your laptop connected to your ECU  to see what water temp that reports could be worth doing.

I don't have a heat gun so I will plug in laptop tomorrow morning (I've left it at home)

Thanks for your help.....Much appreciated :t-up:

It's on this tab

image.png.7be18a47765da36f96faa521ec59690a.png

• Like 1

Thanks but the one I was referring to was a simple line diagram which I could understand

This isn't off a westie but should help:

image.png.30317909e34b737c04cf57bda2dea122.png