2019 Speed Series Regulations

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Just fo everyone's information the SSOT do not intend to spend any more money on awards than normal. The proposal was to spend less on expensive cut glass glasses, decanters etc and use approx half to use as cash or vouchers etc. This was what several people in the paddock have discussed with me as many trophies just end up in a box in the attic or are never displayed or used. 

The idea was to provide something ( as well as a trophy) that would be used and appreciated rather than just another piece of glassware. Originally we thought about Halfords vouchers for spanners or oil, Screwfix for tools and B&Q etc.

• Like 1

Exactly. I'd have been just as happy with a workshop voucher or cash than a cut glass item . (Not being disrespectful to  previous organisers awards). 

So yes I think it's a great idea for cash or a voucher.

I might even register again for the SS this year.

• Like 1

Terry

I would be happy with either more modest prizes, or leave as is :yes:

One of the best awards I have received is an engraved  Metal Thermos flask from Loton Park back in 2009 . And I still use it to this day!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arm said:

Crickey what  emotion. I've been at this game for as many years as I care to admit and have run with many championships and clubs. Different regs some with and some without prize money. I've won money, tools, track days,entry fees, pots you name it. Not really a big issue either way and organisers can't be faulted for trying to offer something. Does it matter if end of season money is spent on pots or prize money. Please lighten up . Thank you organisers for putting the time and effort in.

Thank you for this Ash, it’s nice to have a supportive comment from a competitor who has been around the sprint and Hillclimb scene a lot longer than I have and have experience of other championships. 

I hope to see you out at a WSCC round this year sometime. 

I am not generally known for my diplomacy so I have restrained myself from responding to some of the comments on here, in fact I have just heavily edit this post which I was in the process of typing due to Matthew and ACW’s latest replies, which are appreciated.  

I agree with ACW that any strong feelings or compliaints on any technical points would probably be better addressed via PM with a SSOT member and of course our sponsors have a single point of contact in John Loudon with whom they can raise any issues or observations going forward. 

On a more general point, I think it is appropriate time to remind some folk that Terry and the SSOT are a group of volunteers who give up thier time to help run the championship for the enjoyment of others. 

Terry Everall has bravely just taken on the role of Comp Sec this year but what a lot of folk don’t realise is that for the past few seasons he has been a pivotal member of the SSOT and has been compiling the scores after each event to forward to Tigger, written Tels Tales Blog helped organise the awards evening and done a hell of a lot more behind the scenes that anyone else knows. A hell of a lot of time and effort for no thanks...... and some of the recent comments on this thread haven’t helped. 

Since taking over as Comp Sec and in a very short space of time Terry has arranged a new calender with new venues (not easy in itself),  drafted regs etc and a lot more besides in an effort to get the calender and draft regs out as soon as possible. 

John Loudon has also done a sterling job liasing with and attracting new sponsors for this year, who hopefully will remain with us in the future, so following on from that I would ask that when posting negative comments on here, please consider how that looks to the current and future sponsors, without whom we won’t have a championship. 

Of course there will be discussion on the public forum and folk will identify issues that perhaps we hadn’t foreseen and it is right they are pointed out and discussed, but we will never be able to please all of the people all of the time, much as we would like to. 

Im sure things will resolve themselves in the next few weeks so let’s all calm down and look forward to a fun season

Mark Anson 

SSOT 

• Like 2

FWIW I was very proud to receive the Mahoosive Diamond, Bob Green Memorial Trophy this year (which is returnable).

This might be a worthwhile approach to have substantial but returnable awards with token (cheap) awards to keep.

Mark, John, Terry...

I´ve been one of the strong moaners here... not for the prizes but for technical content that I disagree. Anyway that is going to be my last intervention in this topic.

First of all, none of the opinions written here, have to be taken personaly nor against the person behind the lines.

I'm firmly convinced that we could still sit toguether and drink beers and have a nice time regardless of the outcome of the regulations or if I enter again or not. At least, I would be fine with it... If you guys don't and want to take it personally, let me know to don't look like a fool when I come to say hello. From this same lines, sorry for any over-excitement I may have had in public. I may be really unfortunate, because is the second time in a row that as the regs come out, they throw my plans over the floor, hence my really big frustration.

I want to point out though... that after all, working for free, doensn´t warrants acceptance, and if the people moan, and have feelings is because they wanted to be part of, but they feel somehow left out due changes, point of views, or opinions of other competitiors. However, appears that having a sayt o try to be included, hurts feelings. Again sorry, wasn´t the intention... but with some answers from the SSOT, appears that the position is "if you don´t like, don´t come and be silent" rather than value any others comments. At the end, you work for free folks, we somehow support the series too, and we choose to support this ones rather than the other similar club ones... and for some of us, simple workers is really, really expensive and needs a lot of plan ahead. So... without organising team, there is no competition, without competitors, there is no need of organising team. Is a quid pro quo where everybody gives their best to make the speed series happen, so frustration from one side, or the other or even boths, is to be expected and is completely understandable. 

I have loads of Ideas, most of them crazy some of them realistic to try to improve stuff and attract new people... at the end, Im a newcomer, you are stablished guys, and we need each other to keep this going, but, It´s been left clear that here is not the place to talk.

As a constructive point of view... I would leave this year´s regulation as they are. It is probably too late unless you withdraw them and make a copy paste of last year´s ones as they were, but you won´t probably come with nothing better under an even bigger pressure and more hurry that when the first draft was published... but would be a very very good thing for everybody, to do a public consultation of whatever the regs are this year, and fully open them to debate. Then, someone no byased, should analize the topic at midyear, and try to agree a draft that covers most of the opinions (with sense) and publish it well ahead of the end of the season, so every one knows what they have to do as soon as they come back from anglesey in october. It Would probably be much more constructive that  listening chit chat in the padock where no newcomers will be represented for example, or having to deal with over excited people just here when the regulations come out too late.

Who knows me well will know that I´m not a good politician but really passionate and creative... and some times I get carried away. I´ve organized stuff as a volunteer in the past and I know how frustrating is hearing continuous complains from the others, so, to make up a bit my complains, I offer my help to the SSOT if they are understaff for the future, if that means that more people can be heard and more people can feel included in the series... witch, correct me if I´m wrong, is the whole point of it.

Cheers.

Maurici.

• Like 4

As I know from my own experience being a member of the SSOT can be a difficult and de-moralising use of free time.

However when things go well it also can be very rewarding.

So the challenge is to come up with proposals and regulations that can be accepted by a representative number of logical and reasonable minded SS participants.

Had vouchers, something along the lines of Adam Reed's driving school idea or perhaps a "foundation" fund that we all had a chance of benefiting from could have avoided the emotion that the "cash for points" proposal generated!

At the 11th hour there is still in my opinion an opportunity for further SSOT "browny" points by not having a requirement for passeger seats in any class. It has been a subject of disquiet over many years. No one is allowed to sit on them while competing in sprints and hill climbs and as far as my research reveals there is no requirement for them to be present for the MOT nor are they specified in the Blue Book to be fitted. If anyone wants to keep them in (in what ever class) then it is their decision but it should not be a rule IMHO.

As far as I know all of the current SSOT members have been in post for most of 2018 so maybe some the workload issues identified are somewhat self inflicted.

If Terry was swamped with work was he not able to get assistance from others or did he not ask?

Yes we definately needed a 2019 calendar but I feel sure the existing regs would have stretched for another season after the great 2018 campaign just recently completed.

Thanks again

Graham

Graham       

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think it is time for some constructive ideas, people need to remember that this hobby is totally reliant on volunteers.  I agree with the sentiments of Terry's that most trophies end up in a box in the attic but also with others that say cash is tacky.  How about free entry to the next years Bl;yton weekend, this for a novice would be a great incentive to come out the next year, prizes could be for the whole weekend, one day or just the track day.  It would  cost the club about the same as the proposed prizes and would encourage people to stay in the sport.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

New regs are now in a new post here