2019 Speed Series Regulations

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

3 minutes ago, Marto303 said:

Not sure about the last bit :p

... :no:

@SimonRad

See we’re just like normal disfunctioal family !

Terry thinks he’s the Alfa male, the godfather the matriarch, but we think of him more like grandad from Only fools n horses, an old fart who’s full of wind and stories from yesteryear :)

The rest of the SSOT act like our big brothers trying to tell us what we can and can’t do, so we have to argue with them even if we know their right:( 

But when we all get together that’s all forgotten over a few beers and gallons of vin rouge :t-up:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The rules we are discussing are important to get right for our championship a a fair and close fought battle. Some rules are vey easy and simple to comply with but like all sport there are always contentious issues. Once we sort theses out and we are into the season all will be well. I hope that we will attract newcomers as well as the experienced guys to let the Series flourish. We are trying to make it clear, rather than ambiguous regarding class rule compliance. We will do all we can to ensure everyone's car is able to run in a suitable class.

• Like 1

To be fair, Terry only took over as Competition Secretary on January 1st. As a result, the preparations for this season have been somewhat hurried due his lack of time in charge.  Therefore please bear with us whilst the SSOT address some of the issues raised. The 2020 season will be much better planned. Promise :d

Well done all for getting these out as early as possible. Some interesting ideas and new thoughts. These are always done with the best intention and only time and results after bedding in will say if they achieve the intention or some other un-ntended consequence.

I know from the past how demoralising something you have worked on is shot down or some other angle is provided and you think oh crap we didnt think of that.

All that said the only thing I feel strongly on is cash prizes. Maybe im a snob but it feels cheap. Is it a big draw to me its off putting. As a long time sponsor of the series, I probably wont carry this on becuase of this. My sponsorship is there to make the series happen and work it isnt to put a few quid cash into competitors pockets - that doesnt sit right to me as a sponsor. In business you are very careful to ensure everything is done indirectly, properly and above board - this just feels wrong for me. I think it totally flys in the face of what the ethos of the series is about.

• Like 7

Adrian

Can you give me a call please. I think you have my number

Terry

13 hours ago, ACW said:

All that said the only thing I feel strongly on is cash prizes. Maybe im a snob but it feels cheap. Is it a big draw to me its off putting. As a long time sponsor of the series, I probably wont carry this on becuase of this. My sponsorship is there to make the series happen and work it isnt to put a few quid cash into competitors pockets - that doesnt sit right to me as a sponsor. In business you are very careful to ensure everything is done indirectly, properly and above board - this just feels wrong for me. I think it totally flys in the face of what the ethos of the series is about.

Summarised my views exactly Adrian. Glad I am not the only one. 

• Like 2

After taking on board comments regarding the awarding of cash prizes, the SSOT will be amending this to something more appropriate whilst still satisfying our valued sponsors and the views of those who expressed a change to the type of awards given out.

The basic technical regulations will remain with the exception of a few minor issues which are also under review.

We appreciate some of your feedback and are in the midst of taking appropriate actions. Please bear with us

Best wishes

John (on behalf of the SSOT)

• Like 5

On the subject of Cash Prizes.

I am completely opposed to Cash Prizes for a number of reasons.

1.       I do not believe that Cash Prizes will encourage any new participants, nor prevent established competitors from leaving.  I am sure that the research carried out by Graham Frankland did not find a single new competitor who stated prize money was part of their motivation for competing.

2.       My guess is that the cash will go to the established competitors, who have been competing for years, at the expense of the entry fees of novices, and the less experienced competitors. I am sure we could write a list now of the usual suspects who will receive the cash for 2019.

3.       I feel it is unethical for competitors to simply trouser the funding from sponsors. I am sure the sponsors the Speed Series do so to encourage and develop the club and competition, not to just provide beer money for the established players.

4.       The values of the cash prizes have now clearly exposed the prejudices of the SSOT. We can see clearly the “worth” of various competitions, and competitors, in black and white.

a.       Experts are twice as valuable as novices (£200 v £100)

b.      The Sprint Series (now disparagingly renamed “Mini Sprint”) is worth the same as 9th place overall. (£50). Despite targeting a completely different set of competitors.

c.       The Ladies prize is completely worthless, as is the Best Newcomer, Area Winner, etc. (£0)

5.       If Cash Prizes are allowed to continue I believe significantly improved governance, and scrutiny will be required from the SSOT as inevitably more disputes will arise in the long term.

6.       I fail to see how Cash Prizes fit with the Clubs objectives as written in the constitution.

7.       Finally, I believe the awarding of Cash Prizes is a complete and utter waste of money. I find it very disappointing that of all the possible and desperately needed options to invest, promote, and encourage competitors to the club, have been overlooked in favour of cheap and tawdry Cash Prizes.

I respectfully ask the SSOT to reconsider the awarding of any cash prizes, and completely remove them from the Draft Regulations.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Matthew Haynes said:

On the subject of Cash Prizes.

I am completely opposed to Cash Prizes for a number of reasons.

1.       I do not believe that Cash Prizes will encourage any new participants, nor prevent established competitors from leaving.  I am sure that the research carried out by Graham Frankland did not find a single new competitor who stated prize money was part of their motivation for competing.

2.       My guess is that the cash will go to the established competitors, who have been competing for years, at the expense of the entry fees of novices, and the less experienced competitors. I am sure we could write a list now of the usual suspects who will receive the cash for 2019.

3.       I feel it is unethical for competitors to simply trouser the funding from sponsors. I am sure the sponsors the Speed Series do so to encourage and develop the club and competition, not to just provide beer money for the established players.

4.       The values of the cash prizes have now clearly exposed the prejudices of the SSOT. We can see clearly the “worth” of various competitions, and competitors, in black and white.

a.       Experts are twice as valuable as novices (£200 v £100)

b.      The Sprint Series (now disparagingly renamed “Mini Sprint”) is worth the same as 9th place overall. (£50). Despite targeting a completely different set of competitors.

c.       The Ladies prize is completely worthless, as is the Best Newcomer, Area Winner, etc. (£0)

5.       If Cash Prizes are allowed to continue I believe significantly improved governance, and scrutiny will be required from the SSOT as inevitably more disputes will arise in the long term.

6.       I fail to see how Cash Prizes fit with the Clubs objectives as written in the constitution..

7.       Finally, I believe the awarding of Cash Prizes is a complete and utter waste of money. I find it very disappointing that of all the possible and desperately needed options to invest, promote, and encourage competitors to the club, have been overlooked in favour of cheap and tawdry Cash Prizes.

I respectfully ask the SSOT to reconsider the awarding of any cash prizes, and completely remove them from the Draft Regulations.

Matthew,

Did you read my previous posting? Please accept that the situation is being reviewed and there is no need to post further regarding the issue. However, for the record, Novices, Newcomers and Mini Sprint champions are eligible for the overall honours as well so could win multiple prizes where as experts cannot. Hence the novice champion could also be say 5th overall etc and win multiple prizes (as per Simon Waterfall last season). The mini sprint championship consists of half the number of rounds to the full championship hence the logic there. However, we hear your points and will take them on board.

The Draft regulations are exactly that and not final.

Best wishes,

John

• Like 1

Matthew I understand you comments but what would you do. The SSOT have reacted to paddock comments etc we don't just make things up out of thin air so you come uo with some new ideas please

• Like 1

Crickey what  emotion. I've been at this game for as many years as I care to admit and have run with many championships and clubs. Different regs some with and some without prize money. I've won money, tools, track days,entry fees, pots you name it. Not really a big issue either way and organisers can't be faulted for trying to offer something. Does it matter if end of season money is spent on pots or prize money. Please lighten up . Thank you organisers for putting the time and effort in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arm said:

Crickey what  emotion. I've been at this game for as many years as I care to admit and have run with many championships and clubs. Different regs some with and some without prize money. I've won money, tools, track days,entry fees, pots you name it. Not really a big issue either way and organisers can't be faulted for trying to offer something. Does it matter if end of season money is spent on pots or prize money. Please lighten up . Thank you organisers for putting the time and effort in.

Well said that man. :t-up:

if I were on the SSOT and done all that unpaid work just for the love of what I did and to get some of the OTT responses, I’d be very hard pressed not to be pushed into responding with

3C731BD5-11A2-477E-9936-C5F60580EBAF.png

• Like 2

Sorry if I have caused offence.

John and Terry know me well, and know that I get worked up about stuff.

I do appreciate all of the work that they do, and will attempt to lighten Up! 

Matt

I really hope people dont think I dont appreciate the effort and time people put into this stuff and what a thankless task it can be. I think anyone thinking that doesnt know me.

But discussion should be encouraged, but also be civil. Better than that people not enter, stop competing etc. Just becuase people give thier efforts freely and act totally with the best of intentions that questions cant be raised surely?

What I would suggest to avoid seige mentallity on either side - if that if you have a strong point use PM/ phone email. This shoud never be a popularity contest and politics.

• Like 1